Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten sick after tea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kirstd78, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Junior

Tonight I fed my 8 month old kitten approx 60g of raw turkey and salmon (true instinct frozen I think) he wolfed it as he usually does and then ran off to play. He had the zoomies and was running round and the next thing he disappeared into the newly decorated back room and started heaving and vomited copious amounts all over my new cream rug once he had been sick hr seemed fine was playing again and very interested in helping us clean the mess up! Should I be overly worried about him.... Or was it just too much activity on a full tummy... I've put him to bed with water but no more food. Also anyone recommend any good carpet cleaner!

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I am no expert and can only say what I would do in similar circumstances.
    As there doesn't appear to be any reason to think differently I would have given him another smaller meal and if that stayed down I would have given him the rest of the meal .
    Kittens (or cats in general) shouldn't miss meals unless there is a good reason .He probably just ate too quickly and then did a bit to much rushing about after eating, as for cleaning a carpet ,sorry cant help there .

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That's a lot of food all at once. I bet he just was too full. Feed smaller meals more often.

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  4. Kirstd78

Is it, I actually thought it looked a bit small when I dished up and he wolfs it in under 60 seconds, he's a piggy. I feed him 3 times a day approx 60g raw x 2 and a pouch also . He weighed 3.6kg a few weeks ago. Any advice appreciated...

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I suggest smaller meals more often. Same amount of food total, just spread out more. The most I feed any cat at one meal is 1.2 ounces per meal (plus water added) which is about half what you fed him all at once. My cats are also raw fed.

6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Also spread the food thinly over the surface of the saucer so that he can't gulp big chunks of it in one go.

7. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

If he didn't throw up again, it was likely just too big a meal followed by running around. Agree with the suggestions to feed smaller meals more frequently.

As for cleaning, I find Simple Solution pretty good for most things that come out of a cat. It's not great on yellow bile puke or blood, but pretty much everything else gets broken down by the enzymes.

lorilu likes this.
  8. Kirstd78

Thanks everyone, little milo is very lively this morning and was ravenous for his breakfast! Thanks all for the advice, I'll try and offer him 4 smaller meals instead of 3, he's an absolute gannet who wolfs his down and then sets about trying to eat his mums who is is a slow eater and a grazer! Any advice there.... I've tried separating them for meals but they don't like it? Ive had a second attempt at the shaggy cream rug this am, but it's ruined! Good job we love these furballs!

9. Kirstd78

Good idea might feed on a bigger plate?

10. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Bio tex from Amazon is great for cleaning up. It’s a stain remover and really effective at getting rid of the smell.

11. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

We had similar with our two kittens, one liked to eat fast, the other slowly grazes. We bought the surefeed microchip pet feeders and they have been amazing, my fast eater has slowed right down now and grazes more. I think he used to eat fast because he was worried about it being eaten by the other kitten.

12. Kirstd78

Thanks I'll order some x

13. Kirstd78

Thanks I'll take a look at those also x

14. Kirstd78

Just had to convert it to grams, so just 35 grams per meal? How many times would I have to feed my approx 8 month old ravenous kitten?

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Well you said you are feeding him 120 gr of raw a day plus a pouch. Divide the 120 gr into 3 meals instead of 2. He eats the pouch all at once? How much is that? If he handles that okay you could continue, or split that into two meals..so 4 or 5 meals a day. When he drops to an adult amount of food you can drop to 3 meals a day. My cats are fed 4 times a day, and one has IBD and is fed twice for every meal so reduce vomiting episodes (so 8 meals) because that is what works for them and me.

16. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

17. Kirstd78

Thanks do you think I am overfeeding him.... They were rescue cats and very underweight but he is stacking it on in the 8 weeks we've had them?

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Probably not, yet. At 8 months they are still growing, and still burning a lot of kitten energy besides. Get a baby scale and weigh them every couple of weeks, you'll soon know if they are getting the right amount of food. Get in the habit of keeping a cat journal. Every cat is individual in how much they need.

19. Kirstd78

Thanks for all the advice, I'm totally a cat novice! I studied animal science as degree but it was all agricultural, so cats are a mystery to me. It's taken 8 weeks to decide and settle on how to feed them and them last night he threw upm I'm such a worrier too!

lorilu likes this.
  20. Jenbob21

Jenbob21 PetForums Junior

On the microchip feeders, if you go through the cats protection website you can get 20% discount (I managed to find it by just googling cats protection surepet feeders)
    We only got 1 for our grazing girl as she doesnt tend to eat our boys food and doesnt get chance as hes greedy.
    It did take her quite a while to get used to it though as even on the training modes it made her jump when the lid moved!
    But now shes a pro and just goes to and from it as she pleases.

Kirstd78 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice