Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Seizures

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catcoonz, May 19, 2017.

1. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Any advice, good or bad please.

Have a 7 month old kitten who is having full body seizures lasting 2 minutes, it takes her across the room and drooling.
    She has just started phenoleptil 3 days ago and we are having more than before.
    Unable to walk, very weak in both back legs.

Is it normal for seizures to increase at the start of anti-epilepsy tablets?

How long is long enough with seizures and medication before quality of life comes into question?

Thank you.

* Mods, please feel free to move this, i placed in cat chat as i need some answers today*

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello I have no knowledge but couldn't read and run.

I hope your able to gain useful information for your little one.

Poor little thing x

catcoonz likes this.
  3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I can't help much, but I've done a search on the medication increasing seizures and can't see anywhere that says it does. There are issues of rebound seizures when taking off medication, but I can't see anywhere that says it increases them initially.

Sorry I can't be much help. Poor cat :(

Calvine and catcoonz like this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sorry CC another with no advice to offer,I really hope the kitten will be okay x

catcoonz likes this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Is @Ceiling Kitty around to possibly give you some advice about the meds?

catcoonz likes this.
  6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I can't offer any advice either, sorry but I didn't want to read and run either. Poor little mite. Try ringing the vet to check on her medication. If I'm ever worried my vet will always say whether it could be the medication escalating symptoms or not. I hope she feels better soon.

Viv xx

catcoonz likes this.
  7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

CC, I have no direct experience of seizures in any cats but a girl I bred started having them when she was about 10 years old. I know your vet is very good but I was given to understand by the owner of my girl that vets treat seizures as though they are epilepsy in the absence of any other firm diagnosis. My girl probably had a brain tumour so the epilepsy drugs gradually became ineffective. Have you got a diagnosis for the kitten?

I think that cats and people having seizures are not aware of what is happening to them, so, as long as they cannot fall and hurt themselves, quality of life may not be a problem.

Babyshoes, huckybuck and catcoonz like this.
  8. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Her bloods came back with low white cells, so indicates she is fighting an infection, but we are unsure what infection she is fighting.
    She has been moved from Synulox to Antirobe.

It started when she stopped eating, so i syringe fed her, she then lost use of her back legs, so i thought maybe calici and she was anaemic.
    Went to the vets for iv fluids and started the synulox. Then the seizures started with just slight head rocking and vacant looks, so this is when the vet changed to antirobe and put her on 1/2 tablet epilepsy tablets.

Iv'e taken a video and shown the vet but i do think 1/2 tablet is too much for her, tempted to reduce the dose.

She is eating well but still not drinking, she can hold her head up and her back legs do work but she is too weak to stand up.

9. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this news.I hope you get some answers soon. xxx

catcoonz likes this.
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this,@catcoonz. My Ralph started having fits at age two...he was on one tablet a day of phenobarbital which I recall was effective immediately. Eventually cut him down to half a tablet on alternate days as worried about possible side effects. Unfortunately every three months he had to see a vet to get more meds and he would always have a fit in the car which was upsetting so I asked the vet to give him a valium or the like to calm him down before we left and it did work. His bloods always came back as normal.
    That was a few years back and treatment may be different/better now.
    Hope all will work out OK. Ralph used to foam at the mouth and wet himself...sad to see.
    XX

catcoonz likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@catcoonz, I am very sorry to hear about your little one's problems :( .

I believe that seizures can sometimes get worse initially (maybe for 24 hours or so) after starting treatment with phenobarbital (phenoleptil), as the body adjusts. One of the side effects of the drug can be loss of co-ordination, which might possibly be affecting use of her back legs.

I hope the cause of the seizures can soon be identified, CC. xx

huckybuck and catcoonz like this.
  12. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Thank you, i won't give up hope yet.

13. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

Hope everything gets better for the little fighter! Must be so horrible to watch :(

catcoonz likes this.
  14. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Scary to watch the first few times, but i am more clued up to the signs now.
    Had to move everything out the room and put blankets around the edges, to protect her.

Vet wanted a decision Monday but will go for a check up and bring her back home.
    Thinking 2 weeks on medication will give me a clearer picture if they are going to work.

huckybuck likes this.
  15. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

You are such an angel @catcoonz i am always in awe of how much you do & help people! :D

catcoonz likes this.
  16. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Me too!!!
    I really hope the meds can be sorted and she settles down. You always do everything you can to help whoever' cat/kitten it is and you deserve some good news.

catcoonz and Purplecatlover like this.
  17. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

@catcoonz

I did find this from the Epilepsy Society UK about the speed that drugs will become effective:
    This varies from one AED to another and depends on the half-life of the drug. Generally, you can see the effect of an increase in five half-lives’ time, so if the half-life of the AED is 24 hours you will see the effect five days (that is, 5 x 24 hours) later. If the half-life is 12 hours you will see the effect two-and-a-half days (that is, 5 x 12 hours) later.

Having searched around more the official factsheet for Phenoleptil states that "Elimination half-lives vary considerably between individuals and range from about 40-90 hours." Based on the bit above, that equates to control occurring between 8 & 18 days.

#17 Tigermoon, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    catcoonz likes this.
  18. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Thank you.

19. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Thank you for all the help.
    We increased the dose of phenoletril and had no seizures in 13 hours.
    Vet is assessing on a daily basis, so hopefully the right dose has been found.

20. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I hope the new dose is effective in controlling her seizures. Sending lots of love xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice