Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Scratches

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by spiffy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. spiffy

spiffy PetForums Junior

My legs have been shred to ribbons by my two month old kitten, Megan. She has such sharp claws and she likes to jump on my legs, especially when I am in a skirt or nightdress. Typical eh? :eek: My legs look like something out of a horror film and feel sore. I am hoping the cuts do not scar. :eek:

Would I be able to have her claws clipped or should I just stick it out until she is able to go outdoors and have them naturally file down?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Do it yourself? I do.

3. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

You can buy claw clippers from most pet stores. Your kitten is still young so this is the perfect time to get her used to it. And your legs will thank you! :D

It's not too difficult. You need to press down gently on the top of each toe to extend the claw, and then trim off the end. Be careful not to trim too much and definately don't trim as far as the pinker quick. This will make her bleed. :(

Alternatively, get yourself some shin guards! ;):D
    Good luck! xx

4. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

We just did Abers last weekend for the first time since having him and it has made such a difference! He doesn't get stuck to the carpet whilst playing anymore :D:cool:

He's older and he took it fine, I imagine doing it with a young kitten and getting them used to it can only be a good thing :)

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Try doing them yourself - it's really easy with cats as you can see the vein clearly - just make sure you don't cut into this as it will bleed & hurt. I use special pet nail scissors to do my cats - I find the clippers with a guard too clumsy. A friend uses nail clippers to do her cats. Dozymoo has given good advice on how to actually do it. There was an article in Your Cat magazine with pictures some time ago showing you how to do it - don't know if it'll be on their website which holds an awful lot of stuff - try doing a search on that. I know that your kitten is playing, but have you thought about getting a big climbing frame/scratching post. They're great for letting them have a good scratch & "pluck", for playing & sleeping on. :)

6. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

OMG NO!!!! Get them done professionally and learn while they are being done if you wanna do them yourself. Imagine the pain when it goes wrong and it does often!!

It's actually makes me feel sick thinking about it.

My Shmitty! Clawed my whole body or hung off me like he had built in fish hooks, I stuck i out and got him a log to claw at. He's fine now. Just don't wear any trousers with tassles around your groin area!

7. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Oh yes very good advice there. Even my adult cat thinks nothing about shimmying up my legs to get at a groin tassel!

Lola used to do this a lot and the vet did suggest clipping her claws, however Lola is the type of kitten that if I attempted it I would be lacerated before I even got one done.

She seems to have calmed down a lot lately on only lumberjacks up legs now if you have tuna.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice