Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten saga continues....

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Callidora, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

So as the title states, we’re still having trouble with our Kitten Gatsby-she is now 20 weeks old and we’ve been treating her for Herpes/chlamydophlia since we got her at 8 weeks. There’s been ups and downs, she had a week of ronaxan followed by 9 weeks of synulox (because the virus was in her lungs) and now she’s back on the ronaxan which she’s been on for nearly two weeks.

in the last 5 days her appetite has dropped hugely, normally I free feed her and she wolfs everything down, now I struggle to get her to eat even a quarter of a pouch-I have read (and the vet confirmed) that doxycycline can suppress the appetite, but I’ve had cats on it before with no problems. Has anybody else dealt with this? At her latest weigh in today she’s also lost weight (she’s a small cat anyway so she doesn’t have a lot to lose)

Has anybody else faced this with ronaxan? And if so, is there anything I can do to increase her appetite?

2. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

Coukd be teething? At roughly 20 weeks ours refused to touch food, and ate a fraction what they usually would. Took a day or so to realise they were teething (fangs hanging on by a thread). After a week or so they were back to normal

3. Callidora

Thank you so much for your reply, I guess it’s possible. I’ve had so many cats and kittens over the years but this one is giving me problems I’ve never faced :Nailbiting I’ve tried everything I can think of to tempt her to eat, her meal options have been better than ours this last few days! The vet wants to see her again a week from today to see if she’s gained or lost anymore

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Callidora - has she been checked by the vet for gingivitis ? If she is teething then sometimes gingivitis develops and can make the mouth very sore and spoil the kitty's appetite.

The most common side effects of Ronaxan use in cats are vomiting and nausea. These side effects may be avoided by giving the medication with food, or on a full stomach. Are you crushing the tablets and adding them to food?

Loss of appetite while a cat is on Ronaxan is regarded by some experts as a serious side effect and should be reported to the vet. Is the vet aware of it and what do they suggest?

5. Callidora

@chillminx yes she was at the vets yesterday due to her inappetence , she had a full checkup, no gingivitis thankfully. I’ve dealt with ronaxan many times due to having two chronic snufflers (my two boys) but they’ve never had a loss of appetite from it. Gatsby likes to take the ronaxan with an easypill treat-she actually enjoys it, lol!
    The weird thing is, she hasn’t lost her interest in food, she still tries to sneak into the treat cupboard, she still leaps onto the kitchen counter when I’m making tea (dinner) but she won’t eat more than a few bites. I’ve tried tempting her with all sorts, the only thing she really wolfs down is crunchy treats. She’s due back at the vets next week to be re checked, but obviously any more concerns in the meantime and she goes back sooner. I feel like we live there at the moment!

6. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

The behaviour you are describing sounds like nausea, which certainly in humans is a side effect of doxycycline. I always take (and give the cats) a probiotic twitch antibiotics, as it kills off the good bacteria in the gut which can lead to digestive discomfort. I use for humans and cats Bioglan’s probiotic. 1/2 a capsule for a cat twice a day at least an hour after the antibiotics.

Callidora likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Callidora - I wonder if she would lap food more easily than biting it. Could you try liquidising her wet food and see if it helps. (you don't need to add water to it, just put in the liquidiser and whiz it and it turns to liquid)

If she still wants treats will she eat any dry food at present? It has a much stronger odour than wet food and may be more attractive to her if her sense of smell is dulled at the moment.

Did the vet give her an injection of Cerenia in case it is nausea causing her inappetence?

8. Callidora

@chillminx @lillytheunicorn thank you, I really appreciate the responses. A probiotic might be a good idea, especially since she’s been on antibiotics for so long now.
    No the vet hasn’t given her any injections (yet) because the inappetence has only just surfaced, and there is absolutely no change in her behaviour at all. She is still literally bouncing off the walls and terrorising her older brothers.

We’re on a watch and wait for now until her next appointment, she had an X-ray yesterday just to check it wasn’t a worsening infection putting her off her food, we ruled that out at least. Tonight she’s even refusing kitten milk (a once a week treat that she normally laps up) but she’s currently flying round the room at 100 miles an hour like she’s the fittest cat in the world. I’m stumped!

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Callidora - is she on steroid treatment? Steroids always make me hyper! ;)

Callidora likes this.
  10. Callidora

Lol! No she’s not, but she certainly acts like she is

11. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

I agree with @chillminx, that her sense of smell ,at be affected by her herpes virus. Is she snuffly?

You could crush treats up and sprinkle them on her wet food to see if that encourages her to eat food. I nursed an older kitten with cat flu and she stopped eating for about a week, she was syringe fed a/d and RC instant diet after her having a steam inhalation. Cat in carrier with a bowl of bowling water, outside of carrier and a towel draped over the top to clear her nasal passages.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice