Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten rushed to vets today...need to chat!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kidsandcats, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Guys

I posted on here a couple of days ago about our two kittens we are getting at the end of August. The breeder said that they were not eating solids yet but the other 2 were and was worried that she was rushing weaning them at 5 weeks old. Some replies I had was 'Do I know why they are not showing an interest eating?' Well she called me a while ago to say that the girl, Lola, had tried eating today and had choked. She said her partner had rushed her to the vets as she was having problems breathing and the vets are keeping her overnight and that she needs to have an operation to find out why she is still having difficulty breathing and to see if she still has food lodged in her throat. The breeder is going to call back as soon as she has any more news but the vet told them to prepare for the worst as because she is so young she may not pull through. I am really upset!

I know that they are not ours yet but as well as being worried for her I was so looking forward to getting the two together. The other kittens in the litter are all reserved and we really wanted two siblings together. Also a friend pointed out that if the operation shows that she has a problem with her throat and swallowing reflex, (which is why she may not have wanted to eat solids in the first place), my insurance won't cover her for an existing problem and do I really want a sickly kitten. What would you do? I am so confused?

Sharon
    x

2. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Hi Sharon that is so sad :( but i really think at the end of the day it's up to you other people can advise you but it's you that has to cope the the problems if you get Lola ... when Sweep was 8 weeks old he was diagnosed with his heart problem ( that won't go away ) the vet said you could always give him back and get your money back but me being me had to keep him along with the problems but i wouldn't swap him for the world .. have you spent time with the kittens ? x

3. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Oh no Sharon! I am so sorry that this happened! Poor Lola :(

I don't really have any advice but I am here if you need to chat.

Kori xx

4. kidsandcats

Thanks Kori, was just about to e-mail you!

I haven't spent much time with them only the first initial visit and then we saw them again when I bought a bed for them and took it round so they can use it so that they get used to their own bed and will have something of their own when we bring them home.

I don't mean to sound cold hearted, I do still really want her and pray that she pulls through but it is hard and when you are looking for kittens you obviously want healthy ones and I always have insurance so that we don't need to worry financially it's just that this has happened before any insurance is in place so need to think carefully before taking a pet on that could potentially cost us money we don't really have.

Sharon
    x

5. kidsandcats

Panic over. The vet gave Lola some gas to make her sleepy and managed to get the food out of her throat with some tweezers. They did not have to operate in the end. They said that had it not got stuck it would have gone into her lungs as she more or less inhaled the food. Close call!!!

Sharon
    x

6. rottiesloveragdolls

omg sharon just read this but pleased to hear she is ok now :)

7. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Cool :thumbup: x

8. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I am so glad Lola is ok poor little mite :wink5:

viv xx

9. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

That's fantastic news! I was feeling to terrible for you reading this thread. I'm so glad it has worked out ok. xx

10. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Aww bless her

Im glad she is doing well x

11. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Phew, what a relief that she is ok :D So pleased for you that all is fine.

12. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

That's fantastic news! :D Hopefully she'll start eating properly again & will be at her new home with you soon.

13. kidsandcats

Thanks for all your lovely replies. So glad she is ok. Going to see them both on Sunday. Then the next time we see them is when we bring them home!
    Sooo excited!!
    Sharon
    x

14. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

aww bless im glad shes ok, bet you carnt wait to get her home x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice