Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Registration

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Grace_Lily, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Hello all :)

I've been umming and ahhing about posting this thread for a while but could really do with some advice from someone 'on the other side'. Long, long story so have tried to condense it but please ask for more details if needed.

I purchased a GCCF registered kitten last year, she came home in November and is delightful. When I collected her the breeder hadn't received the registration paperwork back from the GCCF so I was sent away with my kittens vaccination card and family tree, with the promise of the remaining paperwork being forwarded onto me.

I emailed the breeder a couple of times to let her know my kitten had settled in well but she didn't really acknowledge this. She did email me to ask for my address to send the petplan insurance documents to but I never received these. I also mentioned that she had mistakenly put the wrong date of birth on my kittens family tree, she said she would send a replacement but again I didn't receive this.

Eventually I did receive the GCCF registration card. I was baffled when the card was actually for another kitten in the litter. The kitten had also been registered as seal point when in fact she was a blue. I contacted the breeder immediately to advise her she had sent the wrong registration card to be told that she had sold the other kitten (along with my kittens registration card) and that both kittens had been registered as seal points.

The breeder assured me this could all be corrected with the GCCF but almost a year on I am still waiting. I have offered to contact the other kitten's owner directly to no avail. The breeder said she sent the paperwork to the GCCF in January and has now stopped replying to my emails. I'm at a complete and utter loss what to do now. The GCCF have advised me to submit a complaint but I want to avoid this as the owner is elderly and I believe part of the problem is her (self-confessed) memory issues.

Any advice or guidance? My other cats are rescues, this is my first GCCF reg. cat and I feel out of my depth.

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I would go back to the GCCF and see if they can do any more ( no idea if they can). It sounds like she is indeed a muddled lady.

DO you show your cat? Is it absolutely vital that you get the registration changed?

I know it seems a hassle, and it is also your fright to have the correct form, but . . .given her age and memory loss . . .is it worth the hassle?

3. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Thanks for your reply Spid. I actually didn't take it any further than the initial enquiry with the GCCF for exactly the reasons you mention.

I don't show her, it's just that I spent years preparing to do this the 'right' way and it seems such a shame not to have her paperwork.

The breeder has recently announced on their website they have been appointed president of a club, so I don't feel she is totally confused. Before I discovered that I was more willing to just leave it be.

4. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Personally I would get in touch with the GCCF and see if you can sort it ... At the end if the day you have paid for a pedigree cat and should have the correct paperwork , I would also ask the GCCF for her family tree too ...

Grace_Lily likes this.
  5. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Thanks Cosmills. I think you're probably right about getting back in touch with the GCCF. I may send the breeder one last email or a letter but after so many without replies I'm most likely going to have to reluctantly involve the GCCF.

6. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Send her another email stating that she has had more than enough time to sort this out ... And if you do not hear from her within the next 7 days you will be putting in a complaint with the GCCF

It took me months to get my boys reg document , I only got it when I went to the breeders house and it turn out she had registered him 2 months after I got him ... My case was a little difference as he is my active stud... But all the same am A big believer in getting wot you pay for ...

7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

you don't have to be super clever to be appointed president of a club. It's more an honorific than anything else, a figurehead if you will.

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Sounds like she should have a friend doing the paperwork for her, I know several older breeders who have other breeders help them to ensure all is correct.

You should get the papers that you paid for when buying the cat, regardless of whether you intend to show or not it's not your fault the breeder isn't able to fill in the forms correctly.

I see you've emailed the breeder, have you tried phoning or sending a registered letter?

Hopefully the GCCF can help get things sorted for you.

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Oh dear. This isn't the first time I've known this sort of thing happen with an elderly breeder and I think you are being very patient. You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand you have a happy, healthy kitten bred by someone who by the sound of it has vast experience and given great service to the breed for many years. On the other she has broken a cardinal GCCF rule by not supplying the correct paperwork which you are entitled to and I can understand you wanting.

If you put in a complaint, on the information you have given it will be upheld. The breeder will be suspended until she pays a fine and provides the correct paperwork. She may choose to comply and that will be that. Everybody happy. If she doesn't her name will be published on the GCCF suspension list. If it gets that far her membership of, and therefore position as President of her club will be forfeit.

I've have personal experience of this sort of thing with very elderly breeders and I've been very sympathetic, I'm getting older myself so I'd even claim empathy :) The one glaring difference is that both those breeders still did everything by hand, no computers and certainly no internet. In one case the breeder is still going and still does. I am inclined to be less sympathetic if we are talking about someone who is capable of updating their own website with self publicity. I'd be inclined to give it one more go with her and if that fails then I'd say you don't have much choice than to make an official complaint.

#9 havoc, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I have a friend who was 60 on Tuesday and I or Sue do her pedigrees! However she does do all the rest, not sure if she will register her latest litter online.

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

60 and someone else does her paperwork! I'm sunk :lol: Age is a relative thing and I don't consider 60 to be an age of mental incapacity.

12. OrientalSlave

She doesn't find PCs easy. I've used Teamviewer in the past to get on her PC and help her! I also have a printer that works. She prints so little the heads keep blocking. She needs to print something - anything - once a week.

13. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

I have been here myself with a breeder who kept promising me paperwork but always never arrived when said.

I had to contact GCCF and make a complaint against him that cost me £15 to do :confused:,didnt see that fair tbh should have been him paying it i only wanted what was mine.

Anyway i did eventually get my paperwork.

Gccf actually give breeders 2 years to register a litter or so i believe from memory,which in cases like this is rather shocking

14. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Is that the lady with 2 active breeds? Surely they can do the printing for her :p Mine love pressing the buttons, scanning and printing

15. OrientalSlave

Yes! Mine seem to be able to do all sorts of things but not print when they walk on the laptop. :D

16. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Oh dear, I will be 60 in february, I wonder if I can get someone to do my job for the next 7 years before I am OLD enough to get my pension?!;)

17. OrientalSlave

I should add that my friend also runs a small cattery, which is an awful lot of hard work!

18. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. Really appreciate your input.

Carly - Thanks for that, I mistakenly thought it meant she must be the breed expert. Still, I suppose in that position she should really be setting a good example and making sure all her paperwork is in order. What I find frustrating is that if it had been sent off in time I would have been able to collect it along with the kitten and all this could have been avoided.

Spotty cats - That's a fab idea. I wish someone else had organised my breeders paperwork for her. After contacting the GCCF they requested a copy of the communications between us so I'd been trying to keep it to email for that reason. I will send a letter recorded delivery now and failing that will contact the GCCF again.

Havoc - you've summed it up perfectly. I have no complaints or doubts about her breeding ability. I would love to return to her for my next kitten but don't think I can face this situation again!

Thank you for explaining the complaint procedure, I wasn't aware of that. I definitely want to avoid that kind of aggravation for the breeder so really keeping my fingers crossed she will reply to my letter and get this all sorted. She told me she applied for the correction paperwork in January so assuming that all went through fine surely all she needs to do is forward that on to me?

WLB - Yes same here, GCCF requested a £15 fee. Bit naughty really when it's the breeder who is withholding the paperwork. I've spent so much time on this now though that if I paid £15 and it was all sorted it would be a bargain!

Right, off to write my letter! Will update this thread if anyone's interested. Have added a couple of photos of her, the last one should give you a laugh (check out the paws)!

Attached Files:

19. OrientalSlave

If you can scan letters emailing scans to the GCCF should be OK, so long as you send them to the right person. Ring up first and find out who that is, even if you are going to post them.

20. chichi

chichi Banned

Kitten registration must be so much more complex than puppy registration? Puppy reg couldn't be simpler...couldn't go wrong if you tried!

Stunning cat btw....worth all the hassle I'm sure but you really shouldn't have to be chasing papers:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice