Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten raring to go

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BlondeMoment, Mar 24, 2011.

1. BlondeMoment

BlondeMoment PetForums Junior

Hi everyone.
    We've had our kitten Blackjack since he was 9 weeks old. He's now almost 4 months. We've been following the book and decided not to let him outside until he is 6 months old. But the thing is, we've only a small house and he sees us in the garden and miows constantly to come out with us. He shoots out the front door every time it's opened. He doesn't go far, just gets to the mat and then freezes to look around. Has anyone let their cat out before 6 months? Could he come to much harm if we did? He's had all his jabs.

Need some voices of experience please :smile:

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

The only problem is hun he could easily wander off and sire a litter or 10 :eek:

I know its hard but could you wait till you get him the snip or if not even get a wee harness and lead to keep him on for the moment? P@H do them :)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Please dont let him outside ,he is far too young.He needs to be neutered and at least 8/9 months old to have any chance of standing up for himself against all the dangers in the outside world.If you play with him and give him plenty of toys to play with he will be fine indoors.I have always had indoor cats and none of mine IMO have suffered in any way by being kept safe.

4. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

I have two kitties same age as your one and they do the same and look through the catflap for ages and wonder off. Mine havent had the chance of seeing the outside world only in there cage on the way to the vets,

Get your kitty done and im gonna let mine out at six months :)

5. stoneandglass

stoneandglass PetForums Junior

If he has had all his jabs he can go outside. You can try and wait until he is neutered but it sounds like he'll just keep getting out.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This kitten is not yet 4 months old.That is not good advice at all.

7. Ruggy

Ruggy PetForums Junior

If he goes outside before being neutered, particularly at this time of year, he'll end up mating. Not to mention the age he is.

8. stoneandglass

The OP asked for peoples experiences. Everyone I know who has cats allows them out after jabs, you just have to keep an eye on them. I understand that you prefer to keep your cats indoors which is fair enough. You also believe that letting a kitten out below 8 or 9 months is too young as it won't be able to stand up for itself. From my own experience and friends with cats, I have never encountered a situation where a kitten hasn't been able to stand up for itself. In fact they rarely have problems with more established cats in the area as they're not seen as a threat due to their age. This means they have an easier transition into the area.

9. stoneandglass

fair enough I agree with the mating and time of year etc. I felt the need to say something as it seems that anyone who doesn't keep their cat indoors is in the wrong.

10. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

I'd say 6 months at a minimum. And as stated, he needs to be done as well. He would wander MUCH further if intact.

Ian.

11. Ruggy

Ruggy PetForums Junior

I have no problem with people letting their cats out. I keep mine indoors purely because of where I live in terms of an extremely busy road, and access for the cats (secure entry into the flat etc).

I would never criticise someone for letting their cat out.That is their choice and decision. I do think it's totally irresponsible to allow an un-neutered cat out though.

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Are you seriously saying that at four months old a kitten is perfectly capable of being able to face up to all the dangers encountered by cats outside.This has nothing to do with whether I agree or not on letting cats outside.Whether a cat is an indoor or otdoor cat is the owners decision but it is totally irresponsible to allow a 4 month old kitten outside .

13. stoneandglass

as I stated already I'm talking from personal experiences and people who I know.

14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So,are you saying that in your experience it is perfectly acceptable to allow a 4 month old unnuetered cat outside alone.

15. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Some of the 'advice' given on these forums is really starting to worry me. I understand personal experience, but just because it worked for someone else, does not mean you should advise people to do the same.

A 4 month kitten being alone outside, and being fine, is a rare occurrence. I would never recommend that, and an unneutered cat should NEVER be allowed out, no exceptions. Saying he will just keep getting out just reeks of advising people to be irresponsible owners. My cats like to run out of my front door when I open it. I learned they did that. So, I stop them. Super easy.

16. BlondeMoment

BlondeMoment PetForums Junior

Thanks so much for all the advise everyone.
    Have decided I won't be letting him out until he is 6 months and been chopped. Just feel bad when he stares at us through the patio doors and wants to come out too :( Especially with the lovely weather we been having.
    I may get a harness to let him explore a little in a month or so.

My other problem is that the only window in my lounge is the patio doors and with the weather being so warm, the only way to cool the room is to have them open. I'll have to get some mesh or something to stop him getting out. Anyone have experience of that lol? Can you tell I'm a first time kitty owner lol

17. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Mesh can certainly work! If i were you I would put it all the way up the door though as knowing a kitten then will find a way to climb up and over! You can get some which secure with super strength velcro which may be better for you to remove when you eventually want to allow your kitty outside :)

18. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

I totally agree with this. I wouldnt even dream of it. They are still so young and so tiny compared to fully grown adult cats and anything could happen to them. I wouldnt allow mine out as i certainly wouldnt want that on my consious :nono:

19. pinkfluffyballs

pinkfluffyballs PetForums Member

Eric was so tiny at 4 months!

Cat's always want to go where they can't. Whenever I close a door Eric scratches at it until I open it.

Your at is just being curious.

Definitely wait, personally I wouldn't bother at all.

20. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

I let my kitty out gradually starting from 5 months old and she's been totally fine and thriving. She's now 9 months old and has made many cat friends in the area. She's never happier than when she's outside. Personally I'd rather cat proof a garden than keep a cat indoors, as I would hate myself for depriving it of so much joy and fun, and ultimately of being true to its nature.

However, you must get all the vacs and neutering in place first.

Btw, a male cat can be neutered at any age, even as young as 4 weeks old, unlike females, so why wait?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice