Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten questions

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello,

I am sure these questions have been asked many times before but I am new to this forum (and to kittens).

Please could someone answer my questions or point me in the right direction....

What's the best cat food for a kitten? (I'm after brand names so I know what to get).

What's the best cat litter to use in their trays?

How much attention does a new kitten need? Are there any essential toys that she'll need?

Kori

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Wet is better than dry and ideally 50% meat - things like Natures Menu (P@H), Applaws (P@H its called Encore in Sainsburys), Hi Life (all major supermarkets), Cosma, Almo Nature, Boos, Porta 21 etc from Pet Supplies, Pet Food, and Pet Products on Sale Now at zooplus.com

I used Oko Plus (P@H, Petfood Warehouse, Zooplus), its wood based, environmentally friendly, lumps can be flushed, good at masking odours and soft on paws. Wood or paper based litters are best for babies, I would avoid any clumping clay litters as some babies try to eat it.

It will depend on the kitten, some are more needy than others, but bank on a lot to begin with until they get he/she gets their confidence in you and their surroundings and you get to know each other. A Da Bird is essential for slightly older cats, but for babies, anything small that can be chased, cardboard box with doors cut into it, scrunched up paper, mine love those balls on a track. A good scratching post with different levels and hidey holes is also a good idea.

3. Tinks magic

Tinks magic PetForums Member

I Used Almo Nature kitten (Availble from zoo plus)

I use cats pets Oko Plus also absolutly fantastic.

Tink loves pens, Tin Foil balls, small furry mice anything little she can pick up and chase.

4. Scratcher26

Scratcher26 PetForums Newbie

I was in the same position a few weeks ago as I have just got my first kitty. I got her a huge scratching post which she can climb up and has lots of levels, she love it as she can sit and see the world and she also hasn't scratched my furniture.......yet!! :)

I also got these great playhouse things from ebay. If you type in 'CAT & KITTEN POP UP PLAY CUBE' and they range from £2.50 to £2.99. My kitty loves it, they can roll in it, jump and play. She has ripped it and I don't think it will last alot longer but for £2.99 I don't think you can go wrong.

I feed her wet and dry food but she prefers the wet but I still give her dry as I hear it is good for their teeth. I use the pets at home own brand - 'kitten complete' - it's 49% meet and not too expensive.

For other toys I'd get some balls and mice she can chew on but I wouldn't go mad as they can be expensive! Mine love to chase a shoe lace but I think each kitty is different!

I hope this helps and sorry if I've waffled on! :blush2:

p.s. got my scratching post/activity centre off zooplus online, they had a sale on so keep your eyes open. on with levels and a box for her to hide in I think is the best! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice