Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten quarantine time

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jerezgirl, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Jerezgirl

Jerezgirl PetForums Newbie

Hi again.

I adopted a 3 week old abandoned farm kitten on Sunday and am bottle feeding her.

I already have a 7 year old female at home and I have been keeping them apart just on the off chance that the kitten has some kind of virus or infection that she could transmit to the adult cat.

Well, I'm now in the 6th day with the new kitten and I am wondering what would be the correct moment to introduce them to each other? How long would you normally leave it? If a kitten is carrying a virus how long would it normally take to become visible? (She has been checked by the vet and all appears to be normal)

Many thanks

2. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Sorry, read post but didnt want to read and run, more people experieced than me will come along and try to help x

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You have I would think two routes of cross infection here .The kitten to your adult and also the adult to the kitten.Does your adult cat have access to the outside and is it vaccinated..Also unvaccinated kittens/cats can be infected very easily by viruses carried in on feet and clothing.If the kitten hs spent some time suckling from its mum it will have some immunity but I would keep the kitten well away from any animals and I would be asking visitors or anyone handling the kitten to use a hand wash gel and if possible not to wear outdoor footwear anywhere near the kitten.I may be being overly cautious but I would not be taking any chances with a little life.Good luck with your little kitten

4. Jerezgirl

Jerezgirl PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the reply.

The adult cat is essentially a housecat, although she does have access to a small enclosed garden.....I have never seen other cats in this garden as the walls are very high and it is difficult to access. She is vaccinated against Leukimia and she has the Trivalent vaccine although i don't know what that is for!!

The kitten is of course unvaccinated. I have been using hand wash gel regularly. But I am still a bit unsure as to just how long I should leave it before I begin to introduce them to each other.....one week? one month? one year??????

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I really dont have an answer for that sorry.The fact that your cat can go out is enough for me to say that I would be very reluctant to allow any contact until the kitten was vaccinated but I honestly do not know if that is just me being overly cautious.I personally would not be happy letting them meet until the kitten is 12 weeks and vaccinated,others with more experience may say differently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice