Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten proofing the house..

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mini cactus, May 27, 2010.

1. mini cactus

mini cactus PetForums Junior

Hey

me again ;)

How can I kitten proof the house? Its baby proof as I have a 6 month old and 2 year old. But its been just over a year since Eva (R.I.P) was a kitten and the house furniture has moved round etc...

So I was just thinking what can I do to make sure everything is ready..

Thanks!:D

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

when my to cats where kitten i made sure the windeow couldnt open two far so they couldnt jump out put a few cat beds down plus the vet carrier so holly my ragdoll could hide as she was a bit of a nurves cat but thats all i think you can really do im sure your kitten will be fine

3. mini cactus

how about little hiding places? There is a tiny space behind the dryer and cooker I want to cover.

Also we have a BIG old house I want want him to get lost!

4. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

This is a big worry for us too, we're getting a cat next month and we don't have a safe house at all!

What we're going to do is have a dedicated cat safe room, with all gaps completely covered, all wires completely tucked away, and everything very kitten safe, so that if we are going out for a while and don't want him roaming the house, we can put him in there with food/water, litter and toys, and not worry about him being okay.

It also means that when we bring him home he has a safe room to get to know before he explores the rest of the house.

As for the rest of the house, we will of course kitten proof it as well, but a bit more "loosely", as we'll be supervising him when he's not in his "safe room". ;)

The main things we're going to do are:

-Cover gaps, generally by pushing furniture closer to the wall to make the cap as small as possible, or putting something else in front of the gap so he can't get behind. A temporary fix would be taping some cardboard or something in front of the gap, but we wouldn't want to keep that around all the time!

-Cover wires. Where they can't be tucked away (behind/underneath appliances and furniture) safely, we'll use plastic cable tidies like THIS to cover them up

-Make sure precious ornaments and/or small pieces that could be swallowed are put away somewhere safe.

-Cover the fish tank, either with something heavy or by tying a strap around it to stop him getting in.

-Since we're getting him in summer and my family love to open up the windows, we've bought a couple of these Flat Cats to put over the windows. We haven't tested them out properly yet, but they look really good.

As I said, our main thing will be fully kitten proofing just one room, so it's safe to leave him there unsupervised. At least one of us will be home most of the day so it's only really if we're going out for an hour shopping or for a meal or something.

Sorry for rambling! Hope I could help! :)

Aurelia likes this.
  5. mini cactus

this was excellent help!

:thumbup:

6. SusannenoZ

SusannenoZ PetForums Newbie

We are getting our little bundle of joy on Saturday, 8 week old Hamish, and we have done similar to Ellie P by having a safe room which I have done my best to kitten proof the cable cover things are really good and I got them for 99p for a 2 metre box much cheaper than the amazon price and identical but grey in colour, got them from BM stores last weekend. I am worried about open windows and will probably get some flat cats. We have a deep radiator on the wall in the safe room and I noticed that there was quite a gap between it and the wall a kitten would easily fall behind it so wedged a rolled up towel across the back....the things you have to think of !! never had a cat before so all this very new, we have had puppies, where the main concern is what they will chew at low levels very different having to think high!

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

This is an excellent post about this issue :D

Also consider getting a small crate (a dog one will do) they are a god send if you want to open your window or doors to let some air in, or for any other reason. Plus they double up as a nice safe place for them to go to sleep as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice