UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have three very inquisitive kittens, 13 weeks old, one adult cat and a gheko lizard, all living under the same roof at the moment.

We house our lizard in one of these.

Fresh Air Screen Habitat | Cages | Reptile Cages, Terrariums & Accessories | Reptile - ThatPetPlace.com

We feed him live crickets once a week and when we feed him we just cannot keep the kittens from climbing up on top of his tank.

We have tried squirting them with a water gun to deter them but they don't mind getting soaking wet if it means they can perch on the tank and look down at the lizard and his hopping food.

We are thinking there must be a way of kitten proofing so that they can't get up there. But then they aren't doing any damage as such, just peering in.

Can anyone think of any other way that we can stop our little babies climbing up onto the tank?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I had to buy a new fish tank and slightly move it from where the old one was positioned, when my old one was broken by our kittens trying to get at the fish inside.

Maybe you can try and deterr them from getting up onto whatever houses the tank? Something wont harm the lizard, maybe a slice of lemon/lime/onion...anything thatd put the kitten off from jumping up to the cage

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
There's little you can do other than leave them to it. They will get bored with it as they get older. It's good thak they are getting used to the lizards now as well.

Our Dexter loves watching my two Rankins Dragons. In fact he likes to help out at feed time, and has been known to eat the odd locust or mealworm! Both our cats can now be trusted not to harm them when we have them out in the living room. In fact the cats will follow them around and gently pat them to make them move:rolleyes:

Got this shot as Dexter stole a waxworm off the end of the tweezers. He loves em!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

We have noted that if we leave them to it they either fall asleep on top of the tank or get bored and jump off. I don't think we are ever going to stop them from being fascinated in what's going on in there, i.e. lizard wandering and crickets hopping. We don't really have anywhere else to put the tank that isn't going to be just as accessible to the kittens. So we will see how it goes.

I think we will try a little dish of lemon slices, see if that sorts them out.

Great picture by the way!

Kittens are currently running riot in the living room as I type. Turn your back for five minutes and the entire contents of our coffee table (recipe books, bills, magazines, recipe cuttings) and the shelf underneath the coffee table (newspapers mainly) are all strewn across the living room. Some corners have been nibbled. Massive clear up operation required later. Maybe better if they do focus their attention on the lizard! It's a lot tidier that way! :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.