Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten poo could be used as a weapon

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Seb_the_Siamese, May 12, 2020.

1. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

so our kitten Seb came home and has been settling in extremely well, having warmed up to the whole family (except my mum) he's now perfectly comfortable racing around for a good while before collapsing and falling asleep in my lap. He has been eating well and is putting on weight at a good rate, as well as using the litter box well and regularly.

However - his poo absolutely STINKS. He's been confined to our living/dining room (which is a fairly big space) and has a hooded litter box (with the door removed) and within a minute and a half of him going to the toilet it smells SO bad everyone has to leave the room. The only way to describe it is offensive (I'm then the one who has to go in and scoop it out - yay)

Is it normal for his poo to smell this bad? My mum is a clean freak and I'm not sure she'll get round to liking Seb if his poos are going to smell like this forever!

2. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

What are you feeding him...……...it helps if you feed him a high meat content food, I feed Lola Feringa, they make a kitten food, Animonda Carny, have a look on ZooPlus site, they sell lots of good food.

3. Seb_the_Siamese

He was on RC mother and Babycat and relax AGAIL - since he got to us he hasn't shown much interest at all in the RC so have been feeding him mainly the Felix. I have already got some Animonda carny at home because I was going to move him onto this but I read that high protein foods can cause his poo to smell more?

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Some foods, especially those with quite high offal content, do make poo smell horrible. However so do a couple of intestinal parasites. Make sure he is up to date with worming and that he doesn't have loose stools.

Calvine and chillminx like this.
  5. Seb_the_Siamese

According to the breeder he has been wormed and his stools are quite firm and dark brown, probably more towards black than they are brown... I don't think Felix has high offal content? Im not really sure on these sorts of things!

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The more fillers in the food, the more the poop will smell. RC and Felix are both full of fillers (non nutritional things that get pooped out) Transition your kitten to a few good quality high meat content canned foods, or better yet, a raw diet. Raw diet poop has no odor, because there is very little wasted in the diet. Raw diet poop is just a thin shell of poop covering fur, usually. :)

To avoid upsetting his tum even more, a slow transition and using a probiotic, is recommended.

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese - I have found that kitten poo often smells worse than poo from an adult cat. However as the others have said, diet does have a bearing too.

The cats at the Shelter where I volunteer are fed a lot of Felix and many of them have smelly poos, some worse than others. Usually I find the darker and firmer the poo the less it smells bad (because it has spent longer in transit and has been better digested.) However Felix contains vegetable protein which cats can't digest and therefore Felix is quite likely to make the poo smell more than better foods.

The higher the meat content the more will be digested and the less likely the poo will smell bad. It does need to be meat protein though. And as Lynn said, foods with a high offal content can make for stinky poos.

Calvine and Seb_the_Siamese like this.
  8. Seb_the_Siamese

I have done quite a bit of reading into a raw diet however, it's not very suitable to our household because my father is immunocompromised...
    Animonda carny is what I've got lined up... any recommendations for a good probiotic? Would I have to use the probiotic forever or would it just be till he has transitioned?

9. Seb_the_Siamese

Thank you for the help - I'm going to give him a few more days to completely settle and then start the transition!

10. Seb_the_Siamese

Here are some photos of the serial offender as well... for your entertainment!

Attached Files:

Sacremist, Betty6691, Calvine and 2 others like this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I wouldn't personally introduce a probiotic and a new food at the same time. Because if his poo goes soft or loose you won't know what has caused it of the two new items. Could you start the probiotic a week before the Animonda?

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Awww, he's very cute! And just look at those claws! :eek: :D

13. Seb_the_Siamese

Yep that would be possible - just need to find something appropriate! Would he be on the probiotic permanently?

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Some owners do give their cats a probiotic permanently. Personally I'd only give it permanently if there was a chronic health condition affecting the bowel.

But I don't give it to my cat who has IBD because his stools are healthy looking with very little smell. But I give it for a month or two after a cat has had a course of antibiotics as it helps restore the bowel flora.

15. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

When a parasitic or bacterial cause of diahorrea can be ruled out, tree barks powder (Dorwest are very good) is fantastic.

It's a very fine, lightweight powder in a tub that goes a very long way as it's a teaspoon per 10kg bodyweight mixed into food once a day.

It does have an aroma (not unpleasant) but I have never once had a kitten refuse food with the powder mixed in.

It really does work a treat.

16. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Please could I reassure you re the raw diet? I lived with a housemate who was severely immunocompromised for some 10 or more years. In that time, I transitioned to raw. I bred whilst living in the house with him. Kittens are messy little sods, so would smear more of the raw on their faces/bodies than adult cats would. My friend wou.d regularly share his space with the kittens and cats. It wasn't uncommon to find them all piled around his head and face on his bed. It took me a long time to decide to transition, and even longer again before I was hppy to revert to the normal OCD level of cleaning, instead of operating theatre standard... But when I did, nothing happened.

The key for me was in being very, very careful about the suppliers I used. I have gone through periods of using different suppliers, and always, the change has come when the food wasn't so fresh. In order to minimize bacterial load, meat needs to be processed and frozen very quickly after slaughter. A slow freeze allows more bacterial growth, as does prolonged time without processing. This seems to have done the trick perfectly for us.

I no longer live with housemate, but he still feeds his cats raw, from a supplier that I would grade on the lower end of what I would deem to be acceptable but still Ok. He as yet has had no trouble at all with catching anything. He is careful to bil wash his bowls in the dishwasher, but other than that, just takes normal precautions.

Calvine and Seb_the_Siamese like this.
  17. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

i too would say your fears are mostly unfounded re raw and immuno comromised people, although my experience is dogs, not cats
    I have SLE,with several comorbids, am insullin dependant diabetic, have been through chemo, my son has been through chemo ( a year after me)
    and we fed raw throughout
    the only reason my dogs are not on raw now is lack of freezer room, due to C-19 and being on long term lockdown

18. Seb_the_Siamese

Thank you - Ill have a look into it!

19. Seb_the_Siamese

Thank you so much for sharing - I might be in contact at some point for more information re Raw feeding at some point if that's alright with you!

20. Seb_the_Siamese

I'm sorry to hear you have experience with SLE - incidentally, we have recently been learning about it at med school! Thank you for your advice - I will look further into preparing a raw diet! Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice