Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten pick up today!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kittiegirl, Jun 11, 2010.

1. kittiegirl

kittiegirl PetForums Member

So of coure me and the OH are ultra excited, but we received a call yesterday evening to say that our little girl, might in fact be a little boy... i know its wrong of me but i feel a little sad as i spent weeks thinking she would be a "she", we are of course still having the kitten but i am worried that he wont be as affectionate as a she would be? The breeder said she was certain it is a she but a fellow friend and breeder of hers said its def a boy so im not sure what to believe?

Any advice on the matter please?

2. kittiegirl

Also i am concerned that if Ninja is a boy, he will spray everywhere and my house will smell :(

Help please :confused1:

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Don't worry, in general I'd say that boys are more affectionate than girls.

Both girls and boys spray if they are not neutered, it's a misconception that only boys spray. However have him neutered at 5 or 6 months and he'll never start.

4. kittiegirl

he definitely wont spray if we get him neutered early on? Thats my main concern as he will be a house cat and obviously dont want a smelly house.

5. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

We have two neutered boys around the house and they never spray. If they start (if they're neutered too late) then they may do it occasionally even after neutering but in general they don't.

6. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Also, we have some spayed females that insist on weeing on our worktops or in other inappropriate places!

7. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

My boy is extremely affectionate in fact from what ive heard boys on the whole are more affectionate;) Jinks never sprayed in the house even before he was neutered but once neutered they dont anyway so should be all good :):)

8. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

I've only ever had male cats and they have been so so affectionate I don't think you should have any concerns on that score.As already advised by others,get him neutered.Good luck and hope all goes well with him(or her):)

9. kittiegirl

Thanks all, will take pics later and upload of the littlun. I guess the vet will tell for sure next week

10. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

Boys are generally known to be more affectionate than girls, so don't you worry :) And if you neuter your kitten early he'll never start spraying - we had Loki done at 5 months old.
    The good thing is you can stick to the name Ninja, as it could be either a boy's or a girl's name :D

11. gemini

gemini PetForums Member

I have 3 girls and 2 boys and wouldn't say there's any difference in how affectionate they are.

My 2 boys have never sprayed, but they have both been neutered. In fact it's one of my girls who we have a bit of a weeing problem with - she doesn't seem to like doormats!

12. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Boys do grow too be alot bigger so u'll have a little beefer on your hands hopefully....i think thats a positive!

13. kittiegirl

Ooh i want a big beefy cat when he gets older, more to cuddle.

Ah im glad i dont have to worry now, either way the cat will be loved very much, i think i will enquire as to how early i can get the littleun neutered, so paranoid about it, but this weekend is going to be so much fun getting to know him :)

14. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

How old is he? - I got my cat neutered around 6months old if thats any help:)

15. kittiegirl

He's 8 weeks yesterday i believe. I am actually so excited i cant sit still at my desk :lol:

16. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Aww yeah mine was 8weeks when we go him :):) it is so exciting - enjoy! :):)looking foward to pics!!:thumbup:x

17. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

I know what you mean, though. We'd been planning on getting a boy and girl brother/sister for over a year. We found a litter from a breeder, and we all believed there were four girls and two boys for about five weeks.

As they grew older, it became clear there were actually five boys and one girl! This made things a bit awkward for the breeder, as you might imagine. After a while thinking about it, we decided to go for two boys.

Now we're really glad we did, as the whole litter is turning out great, and the two boys we've chosen are (obviously) extra special :D

18. Wendy1969

Wendy1969 PetForums Member

I have three boys, all neutered. Riley was done at 6 months, Chester at 5.5 months and Alfie wasn't done til he was nearly 8 months - none have ever sprayed (touch wood!). Good luck with your new baby, post some pics as soon as you can :thumbup1:

19. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

I have 2 boys and a girl, and i'd definately say that without a doubt my boys are hugely affectionate and my girl skulks away as if you are her slave and should only be there to feed her lol. Both my boys were neutered @ 6 months old and neither have ever sprayed. I think you will be surprised with your boy and will be glad of him in the long run:thumbup:.

20. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I think its generally the rule that vets will spay or neuter a cat who weighs 2kg or more. My 4 month old kitten is 1.5kg now :), so at about 6 months she ought to be the right weight

and she is a little bugger for weeing in places :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice