Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Panting?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by shezzy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Hey there.
    I got my kitten a few months ago. When I played with her for a while she started to pant. So I stopped playing with her thinking she was out of breath? but she kept playing and seemed fine.

The now shes confined to a bedroom for a couple of days untill i get some thing sorted out (big bedroom, lots of toys, shes getting to run around the whole house tomorrow). So since shes been in the same room as me and i can observe her behaviour alot more closely. And ive noticed she kinda runs around, pants. Then runs around again and pants a bit again.

Is she nackering her self out? Is this more common than I think? or is there something actually wrong with her?
    Its just ive only seen dogs pant when they're tired. Never actually seen a cat panting. Just wondering really if anyone elses kitten/cat does it??

2. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

maybe best to call the vet for advice over the phone, they will let you know if it is best to bring your fur baby in for a check up or if its nothing to worry about :)

good luck

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

I know my kitten did this when he was playing on a few occassions and especially when its hot. But if you are concerned and it carries on then of course get your cat checked out by a vet. ;)

4. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

Sheldon does this more wen its hot but even on a normal day. i took him to the vets and it came back that he has mild asthma so i jst have to clean more ha ha.

its prob nothin but get to the vets jst incase. better to be safe than sorry eh :)

5. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I think you should definitely see a vet to have her heart and lungs checked.

Does her chest feel normal?

6. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

My cat did this a few months back in the warmer weather...and it can be quite alarming . I also hadn't seen this in a cat before either until then.

She was exactly the same as you say...run around a bit then pant. The vet checked her over and said she was fine and I must admit I haven't seen her do it for a little while but then it's not so warm now.

Her coat is very dense too so I thought this might not help in the warm weather so I bought a furminator comb and she now has a weekly groom with this. Which if nothing else will help to reduce fur balls. Not saying this has cured such a thing..but was willing to try anything that might help.
    :)

Best to get a check up and be on the safe side. :)

But if you think about it...a cat in the wild will stalk then have short spurts of energy to chase their prey...then they are knackered! lol I'm thinking of a cheetah or something like that.

7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Had this conversation with my vet. cats as kittens tend to play so that they get very hot unlike most older cats as they dont seem to dart to and fro like kittens do. Our vet said its more common for a young cat tp pant its generally ok as long as the toung is pink . AS IT SHOWS THERE ABLE TO COOL THEM SELVES. If the toung is of a purply or very deep red you need to get it checked as they are not cooling through the panting . It can be sigh of heart probs. In most cases this is seen in young cats and in slightly warmer weather. Mine tends to only do it for a very short time.

8. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

Hi,ive had LOADS of kittens running and playing round my house for the last 7 years ,until they go to their new families and never noticed any panting after play:confused:
    the only time i have seen a cat pant is during/after labour and nursing in warm weather.I would get her checked out to be sure:)she may have a heart defect/murmur.

9. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Ok got me worried now as this was advice from my vet. Although they did say if mine was panting exssively. But just had a look on line and i think i will get mine checked out to. He only does it briefly and its normally after really hard play if its warm out. But i will get him checked.

10. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

wELL JUST RUNG ANOTHER VET AND YES IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR VERY YOUNG CATS TO PANT IF THEY ARE RUNNING AROUND LOTS AND WEATHER IS WARM CAN ALSO BE EXCITMENT . SHE SAID THAT UNLESS THERE DOING IT WHEN JUST AROUND THE HOUSE NOT EXSERTING THEM SELVES AND THERE TOUNGE IS NOT BLUE THAN NOT TO WORRY TO MUCH AS LONG AS THERES NOT ANY OTHER PHYSICAL CHANGES.

11. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I think the vet is wrong to give that advice without seeing the kitten.

We've had lots of kittens and none of them have been panting after excercise.

I would certainly advise that the kittens heart is checked by a vet.

kittykat likes this.
  12. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

ITS THE SECOND VET IVE SPOKEN TO . HE NEVER DOES IT INDOOORS ITS ONLY BEEN WHEN HES BEEN GOING MAD OUTSIDE. BUT I WILL GET HIM CHECKED. HE HAS BEEN FINE IN EVERY OTHER WAY.

13. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

sORRY SHEZZY FOR JUMPING IN ON YOUR THREAD A BIT BUT HAVE THIS WITH MY 7 MONTH OLD CAT.

14. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Yeah I agree, any panting should be checked out with a vet - it shouldnt be ignored.

15. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Waw never expected such a big reponse lol

I noticed it about a month ago firstly and then again last night. But to be fair she has a very dense coat and because we were confined to the bedroom it was roasting. I've actually never seen her do it inbetween those times and last time I was at the vets he said she was perfectly healthy.

But ill get her checked over again... just incase. Lol they're gonna hate me at this rate haha I keep phoning them asking them things. Last time it was a lump i found on her neck lol :p but it was just a reaction to something. (either a flea bite or reaction to her first injections)

16. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Lol that does make sence with the big cats haha
    Im wanting to buy a furminator but shes only 5 months. I duno if her fur is suitable??? Her coat is kind of semi-long hair and very thick.

Oh yeah and just to add the panting last like.. 3 seconds. Its not excessive. Its just a short, mouth open and pant. Then jump about again.

17. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Dont have to appologise lol :p
    Your expericing (cant spell) the same thing as me :)

18. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

This is what mines doing it is around 3 secs and then hes off again running round like a loon. I dont know pets are such a worry arent they bit like kids. xx

19. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Oh god, if im like this with my kitten what im i going to be like with a child :p lol!
    I wont be able to get to the vets untill next week but i have a friend whos sister is a vet nurse, ill ask her oppinion on things since i cant do anything untill next week. Can ask her tomorrow actually.

If she does it again tonight then ill have a look for what you said about the tounge.

20. siberiancats1

siberiancats1 PetForums Junior

Hi
    I think its fair to say if the kitten is long haired or a dense coat, then after playing they might pant a little and not to get to worried, if no other symtoms
    are present.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice