Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten owner and allergies

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Taylorbaby, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Just wanted to ask breeders (and maybe owners) opinion, I had a lovely lady visit me yesterday, drove for nearly 3hours and we had spoke before, and it turns out she was having allergies literally 2 mins after she arrived, sneezing, runny eyes and sounding bunged up.

She said that she grew up with dogs and cats, but since having her son she found that some cats can make her sneeze, but her job is traveling to peoples homes and she meets loads of cats and has met a few ragdolls and never had a problem, never even reacted.

Ok so my question is, could she have reacted like this due to the fact she was in a room with a door closed (but patio door open - I have special netting on it so they cant escape) with 4 kittens and a mum? Seeing as she has never reacted to ragdolls before, the people she knows have 1 & 2 fully grown, her mums British shorthairs and moggies?

Talking to someone else today they thought maybe it was because there was so many in the room at once? Any thoughts?

2. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

I would have said maybe the number of cats set her off and was too much for her system to handle.

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

She is sensitised to your cats now though so there is more chance of her throwing a reaction to one of your kittens. I'd be thinking long and hard at this point as to whether I wanted to risk getting a kitten back if I let one go to her.

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

But then can I chance her taking a kitten, bonded with her and her family, then a week later needing to bring kitten back as her allergies are worse? I have said no and told her my reasons and she totally agreed with me, didn't really know what to advise, she said she would go to the docs to be tested but I don't even know if they do that?!

5. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

My cats, and lots of other things, sometimes make me sneeze. Not all the time, and it is very annoying as I can't predict when it will happen, other than it is likely to be worse after midnight. But - dogs have a worse effect,as do some perfumes and some litters. I can't think of a much worse product for me than Perfumed cat litter!

Think what I am trying to say is it may not be the cats, or it may have been these cats on that day, as opposed to all cats always. If it is occasional then it is easily managed with the right antihistamine, but maybe more of an issue if she is going to be sensitive all the time? Second visit maybe?

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

replied as you did, I said no when she was here and explained my reasons and she totally agreed with me, such a shame really!! :(

It could have been the litter, it can be dusty, but I mean the reaction was really quick about 2minutes from her walking in the door and sitting down and the kittens running over to her, got worse and worse as the time went on, real shame as she searched for ages and drove nearly 3 odd hours to visit!

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

OH well never mind, just spoke to her, she put a deposit on a Bengal today :confused: After I asked her about health tests she stopped replying, bit shocked really!!

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Oh dear, sounds like a knee jerk reaction.

9. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I think you have done the right thing for the kitten which will go on to find a wonderful home.

Allergy could be many things, air freshners etc, sometimes it can just be the kitten coat but allergies get better once adult.

I have an allergy to shorthair cats but a simple piriton tablet solves this issue.

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I did think that about the tablet, but Im happy with my decision of saying no to her, esp now lol!I did explain that its the dander and saliva for the allergies, she said she would go get tested, I said maybe talk to a Siberian breeder as they *may* have less of that (cant think of the name) in their saliva, but no idea if its true.

I think you are right spid, bit odd really as she did so much research on ragdolls, to then reserve a Bengal the next day! Im not sure it was a pedigree or registered as she stopped replying, but its not my problem I guess, Just a little miffed!

I have someone else who has 1 from me and also a Siamese (his brother was his by a car) so she came to me for a friend for him. She has allergies all her life and takes medication so I was more than happy, he is about 3 now!

#10 Taylorbaby, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  11. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

From a ragdoll to a Bengal?! Probably best she was allergic to something about yours!

12. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

lol I know!? She had researched ragdolls and Persians, I mentioned bengals and she had never heard of them, so I was pretty shocked to say the least!!!

13. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

hmmm just a update, got a text from her last night saying after my advice she didn't buy the Bengal, but instead visited another ragdoll breeder and put a deposit on a ragdoll!! And brings her home next week :rolleyes:

So Pleased that I said no! And the little girl in question is now going to go to her new home with her brother!! Yah! So pleased!! They popped over today and were thrilled :001_wub:

14. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Very odd! Lucky escape TB!

15. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I have read that, too. More than once.
    Siberians have far less of the protein or enzyme in their saliva that causes the allergy, and Siberians are therefore promoted as ideal cats for people with allergies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice