Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten not weaned or litter trained properly/lazy!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by lillylove, May 6, 2010.

1. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

Hi all,

I have posted elsewhere as I was worried about my 10 week old kitten to start with as she had the runs, but this has totally cleared up now. Vet said she had a high temperature yesterday, but behaviour wise she seems fine.
    She is eating and drinking - but only when I put her there.
    She will use the litter tray - again, only when I put her there!
    She appears to sleep all night - I don't hear her running around or playing at all, and food and litter tray is untouched. When I get up, I put her in the tray and then to her food. She complies with all this happily. Edited to say, if I walk away whilst she is eating, she will walk away as well.

She is very responsive and pretty confident actually, rarely hides from me and like I said, comes when calls mostly. She has stopped having so many accidents on the floor, so I have been giving her a bit of time in my bedroom in the evenings - which she loves (currently chasing a ball across the floor, and pouncing on my bed getting cuddles) But I have had to put a litter tray in my room, because she would choose this time to go to the toilet under my bed! When she starts to scratch, I put her in the tray. Sometimes I need to put her there twice but then she will go to the toilet and I praise her.

I know she wasn't weaned properly or taught to use the litter tray - irresponsible person who had her before. They had a lot of older cats who come and go as they please mixing with the kittens, and there was no strict toileting or feeding regime away from the older cats - they all shared :(
    Although this could be a good thing in the way of copying the others, I think the tray didn't get changed much so cats would use the floor instead, and either she had to fight for food, or just accepted she would be last to get any. Vet said she seemed healthy and not significantly underweight for her age so she must have been getting something!

Im giving her some Almo nature wet food which she did enjoy to start with, and tinned mackerel, and Royal Canin dry as she seems to prefer dry food. But during a 24 hour period she is hardly eating anything at all, and none of it voluntarily!

Any tips? Need her keep gaining weight, and also I will have to be at work from monday till 3.30pm, so would like to know she can help herself to things instead of waiting for me!

#1 lillylove, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Hi, this link may help with the litter training :-

Litter Box Training, Housetraining and House Soiling, Cat Training, Behavior and Psychology

Also scenting the litter tray with something she likes may help (catnip etc).
    When feeding her make sure it's quiet and she feels secure. Giving her a treat for staying to eat when you leave might work.
    As much as you love her you cannot be there for her all the time and she must learn this and find some kind of routine, if she continues to follow you away when shes supposed to be eating let her get hungry enough to go looking for the food herself (while making sure the food is always fresh).
    She sounds happy and just needs a couple of rules to help her :)

Good luck.

3. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

Litter tray is fine, but the eating is still an issue unfortunately. I have asked for advice in the Nutrition forum. Hopefully someone will have some ideas?
    Thank you for your advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice