Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten not gaining weight as he should.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by courtneyy132, Apr 4, 2019.

1. courtneyy132

courtneyy132 PetForums Newbie

Hi. Not sure if I’m in the right topic area but 11 days ago my cat gave birth to 3 kittens. It has been mostly going well, she’s a good mother. 2 of the 3 kittens are gaining atleast 10g every day.
    But then there’s one of them that isn’t really gaining as well as the others.
    Some days, rarely, he gains 10g, but other days he gains as low as 2g.
    Today I weighed him and he hadnt gained anything, he was still 216g as he was yesterday. So I weighed him again not longer after, and the scales now say he’s 215g, which means he must have lost weight.
    We’ve always worried about him a little more as he’s slightly smaller and weaker. He does drink, some days more than others, but sometimes has to wait until after the others have finished before he gets his turn.
    It doesn’t seem like he isn’t drinking, he’s just drinking a little less and gives up on finding a nipple quite quickly, so sometimes we have to intervene and lead him to one.
    It’s hard to tell if he’s actually drinking enough or not though, perhaps he’s not getting as much milk out of his chosen nipple as he should? The mother is quite fluffy also, so perhaps he’s struggling to get milk out?
    I heard gently pinching their shoulder can determine how hydrated they are, and most days he seems ok. Although once a few days ago he seemed to be quite dehydrated.
    Any advice would be appreciated. I can’t find anything that says how much they should be gaining each day, or if it’s ok to loose a little weight, etc. Thanks!

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

You should always weigh at the same time each day and take an average over 2-3 days. They may have just had a wee one day or not fed for a while. 216gms at 11 days does not seem bad to me. What was his birth weight? Are you sure he is definitely male?

3. courtneyy132

courtneyy132 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply! Yeah we’re doing that, weighing them all around 1pm and then the little one in the evening if we feel we need to. We’re unsure what it’s birthweight was.
    However we think it may be a female now. I’m just used to saying he as we thought she was a male for a long while. 2 females, and 1 male we think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice