Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten not eating a lot help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ebonymagic, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ebonymagic

ebonymagic PetForums Senior

Hi

I am new to this forum. I have now got two 9 week old girlies, they were weaned onto supermarket cheapy adult wet food in gravy. Magic eats a fair bit each time I give them food but Ebony hardly eats anything. I have started them on Felix wet food in gravy (adult) which seems to be more popular, but Ebony still isn't eating a lot. I weighed her today and she is 327g is that enough at 9 weeks?

They have both had their 1st vaccine and the vet just said that Ebony weighs less than Magic.

I now feed Ebony little bits of food off a 5ml medicine spoon which means she eats more but not a lot. Do I get kitten milk? do I change to kitten food? I put about a desert spoon full of food in their bowls up to 4 times a day. I just want both my babies to be mini hoovers.

2. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

I have two 4 week old kittens here that weigh 500 and 600g. :confused: I am very surprised that a vet would vaccinate a kitten that small. What is the history on them? xxx

3. Tje

Tje Banned

OMFG. I cannot believe a vet vaccinated a kitten that is so underweight. No this kitten does weight anywhere near enough!!! She shoudl weight about a kilo by now. At least 900 grams. This kitten is massively underweight.

4. Tje

Tje Banned

Ebony, I feel your kitten's weight is not just worrisome, but downright frigtening. I can give you help... but I'd be typing here all night. If you want my help then send me a private message with your phone number in it and I'll phone you straight away.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ebony - if I were you I would take Tje up on the offer. There is nothing she doesn't know about kittens.

6. ebonymagic

Hi I have sent a pm to tje. Thanx for your replies and concern.

7. ebonymagic

Mad moment, my baby weighs 732g. thanx again for all your concern and help.

#7 ebonymagic, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  8. Tje

Tje Banned

panic over :) Ebony made a typo and her kitten weighs 732grams (not 327grams) ... lol... a very easy mistake to make, she just got the order of the numbers muddled up.

*wipes the sweat from her brow* lol

was nice speaking to you Ebony, all the best with your kitty !!

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Phew! Everyone back to the base station :)

10. ebonymagic

I am so sorry I worried everyone.

My baby girls are so important to me. I want what is best for them.

I will be asking my mum as well, who was a vet nurse. I shall get them some cat milk and kitten food or whatever has a high percentage of protein.

I might even get my babies some chicken or fish.

If they get sick I have to deal with 2 boys.

11. Tje

Tje Banned

Ebony, no need whatsoever to be sorry. We get people on these forums whose kittens are drastically underweight, and they have such a laid back attitude it’s shocking. They’re like “well, it can’t be that bad, if she doesn’t improve in a week or two I’ll take her to a vet”. I often feel like screaming at them “you bloody moron, if you don’t do something now she won’t be here in a week or a fortnight”.

I’d rather have 10 over-cautious kitten-owning posters like you, than one of the lackadaisical (couldn’t give a damn) variety.

All the best!!

12. ebonymagic

My baby girl was sick this morning, she hadn't even eaten a lot. It was mostly clear frothy stuff with a few bits of food in.

I left her alone and took my mutt for a walk.

I have just tried to give her some wet food and she wasn't interested.I was given a free sample of pro plan dry kitten food by my vet so I threw some across my kitchen floor and soaked some in a bowl. Got my trusty medicine spoon and tried again, having drunk the juice she then proceeded to eat the slightly soggy biscuits off the spoon.

Hurrah!!

I think I might ring the vet and see what she says

13. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

If she's being sick, she needs a vet now. As in right now. Kittens (like all baby animals) can get very sick very very quick.

14. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

Hi Ebony - firstly you haven't offended anyone, quite the opposite! Big hugs! We had a hairy moment there panicking over your kitten for you, but now that's cleared up it's a huge relief for you and everyone, so yippee!

If she's being sick regularly I would get her to the vet quickly like Lisa said, but one thing I wondered is whether they've been wormed? Forgive me if you've already said, my head is foggy today from pain relief (you can all have a good laugh at me for being stoned lol). xxx

15. Tje

Tje Banned

Ebony, I just replied to your private message... so won't repeat here. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

All the best.

16. ebonymagic

I have been and got some high life kitten food and kitten milk, she has had a little of both, I will feed her when she is hungry rather than set meals

At present she is as bright as a button, playing on their new scratch post.

I think I have sorted it for the moment.

17. Tje

Tje Banned

Great news!! Keep us posted.

18. ebonymagic

Hey peeps

Today ebony weighs 755g. I think she may have been slightly constipated. They are both currently counting zed's on their scratch post.

I have to wait until she peeps at med before I put food out because the boys hoover up the food if I don't, they also like the kitten milk.

Ebony is definitely brighter, she is also more happy to be picked up and fussed. I put her down when she has had enough, so the periods of cuddling are getting longer. She still only sits next to or behind you if you are sitting down.

I love my cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice