UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. We've had one of our kittens (Audrey) since she was about 8 weeks old (she is about 4 months now). Ever since we've had her, she uses her litter tray most of the time but will sometimes do it elseware (under our bed or on my bag collection under my bedroom chair!!) Usually it is poop, but yesterday we walked into our bedroom and there was a a huge puddle where she had wee'd right in the middle of the floor!

This is getting really annoying now! The thing is, Audrey and my elder kitten Sebastian (9 months) don't get on - they ALWAYS fight. It seems like play fighting but gets too much / too aggressive and they end up hurting each other so we need to keep them seperate a lot of the time. This means Audrey gets our bedroom (V. small flat!) I am getting sick of having to check all around the room every night to make sure there are no presents left where we are sleeping! :scared:

Does anybody have any suggestions? One thing I have noticed is that when she needs the toilet, she will always moan really loud when she goes to her tray. I'm wondering if maybe she has roundworm? Not sure why this would mean she's not always using her tray though. How often can she be wormed? I know she was wormed when we first got her. Another thing to mention is that we always keep her tray clean!

Sorry for the length of this! x

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Hello! How many litter trays do you have? If you only have one then perhaps it might be an idea to get another one - some cats don't like to go where another cat has just been, or they don't want to poop where they wee.

We had a similar problem with a kitten and an elderly cat, with the older one using places to wee and poop other than the litter tray because the kitten would sneak up on her when she scratched the litter, literally ambushing her.
Could something similar be happening here?

I am not sure whether the sound before going to use the litter tray has a meaning other than that's what your cat does. Might not be anything sinister, just an idiosyncrasy.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Good thinking Dally Banjo!

Also, to get rid of the urine and poop smell thoroughly, it is good to wash the place where they have been to the toilet down with a solution of hot water and BIO washing powder. That way you minimise the risk of your cat going again in the same spot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She never seems stressed to be honest, all she ever wants to do is play! And i'm not sure it's a problem regarding using a litter tray where Sebastian has been, because when she is in the living room with him she will use his litter tray no problem, much to his horror :prrr:

Our bedroom isn't huge but I will get another litter tray for in there and see if that changes anything. Why would she only do it sometimes though? It's not often she will go outside of her litter tray, just occasionally.

Her wee looks fine (I can also clarify that after seeing it all over my wooden floor :arf:) and her poop looks normal too. She is a bit of a moaner though, if she's picked up she will usually moan, but still enjoy it (rubbing her head all over me etc). Her belly does seem rather big / firm though, could this mean worms?

I have a Feliway in the living room, I got it to try and get the pair of them to stop trying to kill each other haha. Can't afford another one for the bedroom though, they're sooo pricey!

·
Registered
51 Posts
oh..that must be really hard for you! i don't know but maybe you can try different types of litter? i've always used just one type (world's best litter) so i don't really know about others brands, but i heard that cats can be quite sensitive to the smell and texture of the litter and they can refuse to use it if they don't like how it smells or feels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did change her litter recently, as I couldn't get to the shop that sells the one I usually buy. I also changed her litter tray as I came home one day with a floor full of wee after the litter tray had cracked! I'm wondering if this could be anything to do with it?

Oh god I hope she isn't pregnant, Sebastian was done a few weeks before we got her.. and she is still only small... very fat belly though, but I put that down to the fact that she always manages to steal Sebasian's food / possible worms!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Come to think of it, there's no way she could be pregnant. She was only 8 weeks when we got her, by then Sebastian had been done for a couple of weeks. I just read online that sperm can veryyy rarely stay in the male cat's system for up to 6 weeks. We kept them apart for a few weeks anyway when we first got her, apart from daily supervised 'visits' lol. You scared me then! :eek6:

I just had a good feel of her belly too, sometimes it feels hard but at the mo it's just squigy and fat :D Lil porker!

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
I would keep an eye on her & maybe take he to the vets for a check up anyway. My cat started doing this (periodically) the other week & it turned out she did have mild cystitis.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would keep an eye on her & maybe take he to the vets for a check up anyway. My cat started doing this (periodically) the other week & it turned out she did have mild cystitis.
I was just going to suggest this. If she's been experiencing pain or discomfort with toileting, she may be associating this pain with the litter tray. Also, If she's not getting on with the other kitten, she may feel intimidated by him when using the tray, particularly if the problem is territorial. I suggest trying a different tray just for her and away from the other kittens tray.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.