Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten milk?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello,

I've got only one week to go now before I collect Chloe and Casper. My worries are still in the back of mind but mostly I'm just excited now!

There was one thing though - as they'll only be 7 weeks old, do I need to give them kitten milk? What's the best milk for them? How much and how often would they need the milk?

Kori x

2. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

How long os a piece of string?! There really isn't a 'right' answer to how much milk you can give them.
    As long as they have water readily available to them I wouldn't worry too much about giving them a lot of cat milk. I gave my kittens milk twice a day at dinner time and before I went to bed. I used whiskas kitten milk but now use felix milk.
    I found if I let too much out, they wouldn't bother with it and it would go bad.
    Now they get cat milk warmed up a little (as in, 5 seconds in the microwave) as a treat once or twice a week and they really enjoy it. They get all their nutrients from good quality food.
    So my answer would be maybe a little twice a day! A little being as much as they can drink in a minute without anything left over.

Good luck!

3. marmie

marmie PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My kitten was 7 weeks old too when we got him and I gave him Toplife Formula Kitten Milk which is a vet formulated goats milk and "has been specially formulated to be close to the natural composition of the mother's milk."

My kitten loves it and I always put some out for him when he is eating. They say it can also be mixed with solid food to encourage lapping - I tried this with some steamed white fish and it went down a treat :)

I would highly recommend it and is available in Tescos and Asda.

Their Website is TopLife Formula

Good Luck with your new kitten.

Marmie

4. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

A breeder friend of mine gives her kittens (& queen) diluted warm evaporated milk when she is weaning (mixed with their food) & while they are small. They love it :D

5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

When I am weaning I give the kittens cimicat (most likely spelt that wrong)
    it is designed to be a replacement for the mother's milk but is also very good as a supplement.

As long as the kittens are eating solid's and drinking water well you do not need to worry too much.

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hi! I rescued a 10 week old cat and she wasn't fully weaned off cat milk so I bought some kitten milk and diluted it with water :) I'll be reducing the amount of milk until it's just water.

If your kit is eating solids he should be fine!

7. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

Our vet once said that we should either give kitten milk, or mix normal milk with some water...

The latter one is what we did when ours was still young: we combined milk with water. But always make sure you've got a bit water for the kittens as well!

8. i dont use normal milk

I use lactol, evaporated (diluted) or ewes/goats milk depending on what i can get hold of at the time.

My cats all enjoy a treat of milk on occasions, but its just a treat.

9. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

The kittens should be fully weaned when they come to you and won't need ANY milk just water. If the kittens are not eating solid foods then they shouldn't be leaving their Mum. It's that simple really. I would feed them kitten food and water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice