Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten losing appettite

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Danny21, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Danny21

Danny21 PetForums Junior

Can anyone help me? My kitten suddenly loses his appettite today. He only ate half of what he used to. And I noticed he also uses the litter tray a little often from yesterday and he seems to lick his ass quite a lot.
    I'm afraid he got diarrhea. Could anyone told me what the sign of cat diarrhea is and if I should took him to the vet?

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi, is he actually doing anything in the litter tray? He could be constipated which may explain the licking, sounds wierd but take a look in his tray and come back to us! lol

3. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

I'm always concerned when kittens don't want to eat because these little guys don't have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration. Lack of appetite almost always means a medical problem.

Lack of appetite combined with diarrhea could be a sign of a number of different issues including intestinal parasites, a virus such as panleukopenia or FIP, or could simply be due to a change in diet. There are many other possibilities as well.

If the little one doesn't start to pick up in the next few hours I would recommend a vet visit!

Dr. Marie
    Need vet help now? Click here.

4. Danny21

Danny21 PetForums Junior

Thanks for the help, guys. He hasn't ate anything else other than a bite after his lunch. I think I'll took him to a vet this night.

The vet should open 24/7 though it has been a long time since I last go to the vet. Let's just hope it's nothing serious.

5. Danny21

Danny21 PetForums Junior

Just got back from the vet. It's confirmed: diarrhea.

The vet gave him a few shots, and starting tomorrow he'll gonna have a new menu.

Thanks for your attention, everyone.

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Thankfully it was nothing serious and I hope he feels better soon! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice