Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten looks strange.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cat_Crazy, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Hi there

I'm a bit worried about one of the kittens that I am fostering at the moment and wondered if anyone can advise.

They are 11 days old today and a litter of 4. The first 3 are doing very well and seem fine. The last one however has had a few problems.

He was born breech and got stuck and mum retained the placenta so we had to rush to the vets. Mum's milk didn't come in for the first 5 days but now she is feeding well and I am just topping them up rather than full feeding.

My main concern with the last little one is that his head looks very strange. I seems to be bigger than that of the other kittens, a different shape and much wider. It might just be me but it dosn't look like it should.

Also concerned that while the other 3 kittens have fully opened both eyes he shows absolutely no sign of them ever opening. They are still just fur over them like when they are newborns and you can't even see the slit where the eyelid will start to open on him.

I may be worrying about nothing and he's just a little delayed I just have a gut feeling that something isn't right with him.

2. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

have you got any pics of the litter to show? perhaps a call to the vet to find out either way too? my practice have a nurse on call that can be spoke to all the time , sorry im not much help
    julie x

3. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I'd take the little one to the vets for a check over personally.

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Here is some pics.

I want to go the vets just to reassure me but as they are not my kittens it's not my decission and unless I have a genuine concern rather than a funny feeling that something isn't right the rescue won't authorise to pay bills.

Anyway I have tried to get pics from all angles so you can see what I mean.

Attached Files:

5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Here are pics of another kitten in the same litter just to compare.

Attached Files:

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

When I was concerned about Tinks we took her to the vets, they checked her over and didn't charge a penny.

I'm sure if you ring and ask first, explaining the situation they will do much the same.

Though I have to say the kitty looks normal to me, perhaps just developing a bit slower. Is everything else OK with it? is it putting on weight like the others?

7. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

dont know if its just how the pic has been took ... but i tthink it looks bigger just because his/her eyes arent open??? and also the eyes look in the first pic like they are starting to open ... i would still have aword with vet .. i can understand your concerns about you being the foster mum and not the owner but even when your a foster you need to know whats going on ... and me personally would act on just a hunch??
    hope that helps if only a bit
    julie x

8. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Everything else seems fine yes it's just the head shape that concerns me.

I will call the vets and see what they advise.

Do you not think the forehead looks bigger than it shoul be?

9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

From the photos it looks normal, but your description doesn't sound normal. I'm afraid you may have a kitten there with a fundamental problem. I doubt if there is anything that can be done so I'd be inclined to leave well alone and see what happens.

Liz

10. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww bless, its very hard to tell from a picture, do let us know how he gets on.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice