Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten litterbox OCD

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jacks23, Oct 4, 2013.

1. jacks23

jacks23 PetForums Newbie

we adopted an abandoned 3 1/2 month old male tabby kitten thatwas wandering roud my daughters school. he was checked out by the vet and they kept him for a few days to see if anyone claimed him.
    he's absolutely gorgeous my daughter has named him Darwin

he has one strange habit, he doesn't just bury his poo in the litterbox he tries to cover it up totally by pulling all the sides of the litter tray liner in over the top so when I check him in the mornings its all wrapped up like a little parcel!

is this normal and is there anything I can do to discourage this?

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi and welcome to the forum :D
    I personally wouldn't bother with the liners,I have never used them and from what I have read on the forum they tend to be more trouble than they are worth.Cats are funny creatures and will use strange things when trying to bury stuff,my Raggie Meeko tries to cover his food dish when he is finished and will use anything lying close to it he made a nice parcel with a dish cloth once :D

3. AtticusRavel

AtticusRavel PetForums Member

Not sure I completely understand the logistics of the liner situation- how it looks like when you find it I mean.

The thought that sprung to mind, is that maybe he doesn't like the smell of the litter and needs to cover it with something else. Or that the litter is not deep enough in the litter tray. ???

Are you using one type of litter that clumps (balls of urine that is)? Some people don't know that the balls should be removed as intact as possible, as when breaking them you get little clumps that can't be removed with the scoop, and even if for us it doesn;t smell and doesn't look unclean, is really urine smelly inside.. But again, no idea if that could be the case!

Well done for adopting him :) Love Darwin as a name too!

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Don't put a liner in. Some like to scratch the sides of the trays and I think they do it to clean their paws. Mine all do this.

5. jacks23

jacks23 PetForums Newbie

thanks for the replies I'll try removing the liner and see what he does

I wasn't using clumping litter, leaflet I picked up in Pets at Home said not to for kittens?

I've not had a kitten before. My previous cats (still have Tilly a 13 year old tortie) were adults when we got them from Cats Protection.

He also keeps putting toys in his water bowl!

6. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

When Seb was a kitten he used to put his toys in the water bowl :) Roman does it as well :)

7. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Unfortunately Pets at Home are not all that renown for the accuracy of their advice... ;)

I think it depends what kind of clumping litter you get, I think you have to avoid the silica based ones with kittens in case they eat it - others are more expert in that than me, though, sorry!

I've had my 18 week old tortie on a mix of Goldern Pine and Greencat biodegradable clumping litters more or less since I got her a month and a half ago. Put her (and my other cat) back on CatSan whilst I went on holiday for a week (easier for the neighbours to handle just scooping the poo), and I have now decided I won't be doing THAT again outside of holidays - doing a full change this morning was a lot more unpleasant than the clumping mix. :eek:

8. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

It is clay litter you need to avoid with kittens as it can clump inside them and not break down like the others. OKO Plus Cats Best is the best one if you are shopping in Pets at Home. It is natural, it does clump but it breaks down and dissolves so doesn't block intestines like clay based ones do.It also lasts a good while longer than most of the others. I wouldn't use silica litter due to the dust which has been linked to cancer.

Liners are just a marketing thing, to make you spend more. Invariably the cat will use it in addition to the litter and it will end up ripped to shreds in the tray or, as you have found, in a ball with the contents of the tray.The theory is that it is easier to clean the tray, the reality is that it is a waste of money and makes more mess as you have to extricate it from the contents of the tray.

Darwin is a great name :D

#8 maisiecat, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

I agree with maisiecat

I've only started using Cat's best Oko plus yesterday and must say I'm impressed.
    It does seem expensive at first but I put a full 8 liter bag of my old litter in the tray 3 days ago and have already taken half of it out as it doesn't clump so the only way to remove the soiled litter is by removing most of the clean litter along with it.

With Oko I'm mostely removing just the clumps.

10. jacks23

jacks23 PetForums Newbie

thanks I'll definitely try that litter when I buy the next batch.
    Darwin was my science geek daughters choice - her first was Optimus Prime!

Only hurdle now is getting Tilly the tortie used to him, she just hisses when she sees him at the moment

they're having "supervised visits" at the minute as we can't let him have the run of the house in case he tries to get outside. Tilly loves going outside so don't want to restrict her in case she resents him. Tilly was kept in a shed by her previous owner so took a long time to get used to being in a house.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice