Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten litter tray

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Laura Baugh, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Laura Baugh

Laura Baugh PetForums Newbie

Hi, I posted about my new ragdoll kitten a few days ago. He is doing so well and super happy but just unsure about a couple of things to do with litter box. He has generally been fine but we've had a couple of incidents where he ends up with poo on his back paws! I also watched him earlier and he seemed to stay in the litter box for a while after going and almost looked like he was playing. He covered the poo and then carried on digging only to uncover it and then step in it! I've also seen him scratching the liner so it ends up with holes in. Should we both with the liner? Does all of this sound normal? Thanks xx

Soozi likes this.
  2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Get him a bigger tray but not too deep! He is still finding his feet by the sounds of it unfortunately they often end up in the poo! Lol! I wouldn’t use a liner either he probably wants to cover the area that soiled. Love to see pics of him. xxx

buffie likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Laura, you don't need a liner, they are more trouble than they are worth! ;)

It sounds as though there is something he doesn't like about the litter box. Is it too small for him maybe? Or perhaps the litter is not deep enough for him to bury his poo.

Do you provide him with 2 litter boxes, so he has one for pee and one for poo? Cats prefer this. The boxes should be in separate places not together.

Are you providing a fine granular litter, not wood pellets?

How often do you empty the whole tray and clean it? With non clumping litter it should be frequent, e.g. every day or every other day. Because non clumping litter gets smelly very quickly.

He can't have clumping clay litter but should be safe with clumping granular litter made of shredded wood, such as Cats Best Oko Plus.

Does he have soft or loose stools at present? If so this may be why is getting poo on his feet.

#3 chillminx, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    buffie and Soozi like this.
  4. Mmb1004

Mmb1004 PetForums Newbie

We had this problem with our kitten...it was that he didn't like the litter we were using. I had him on Oko Cats Best since it was greener and flushable. He used it for a week and then started hopping in and out and then running to an odd corner to do his business.

I then tried almost every litter and he was happy with everything. So we now use either BioKat multi cat clumping clay (I know some don't like to use clumping with kittens...he doesn't try to eat it and he has short hair so I doubt he's ingesting any while grooming, might be different with a ragdoll though?...). And we also use the Catsan Smart packs. They seem expensive at first glance (and are super super not green!) But they are the height of convenience and he will use it. It's basically a thick liner (he is a big digger but hasn't scratched through) with a sort of nappy in the middle and filled with non clumping Catsan hygiene litter. It is amazing. It lasts at least one week per pack (we have two trays for our kitten) and it probably could last for longer. And if you buy it off zooplus, it's pretty economical price wise!

And obviously yours could just be still figuring things out. Loki has been perfect since we swapped though so it's worth trying another option.

5. Deyas

Deyas PetForums Newbie

I would consider changing the diet regimen of your kitten, too. maybe, his stomach or bowl do not function properly and do not... produce normal poo so that it sticks on his paws. maybe, it is indigestion. show him to the veterinarian.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice