UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to the forums and have just got 2 10 week old kittens (brother and sister!) we were going to get one but I couldn't leave one on her own so we came home with both!

I am struggling to litter train the girl(Jess). Bruce(the boy) wees in the tray everytime perfectly but poos elsewhere in the house. Jess holds it in and won't go at all.

I have been playing with the litter with her - helping her dig in it. Putting her in everytime she has played,slept or eaten and all she does is jump straight out and run away. I've also seen her watching her brother and still she doesn't get it. I have resorted to locking them both in the kitchen where the tray is on a day to try and help them go more often but she just holds it in and goes when I get home.

I put a bed in the kitchen for them to stay warm and jess sometimes goes in that instead - basically anywhere but the litter tray!

I have had them 4 days now is it just a case of perservering and hoping she'll get it or is there something else to try?

Also why does Bruce wee there but won't poop there?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The little ones have been to the vet as they have a mild respitory infection and a little eye infection so they are both on antibiotics for those and I don't know if that is affecting the way they want to go?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello!
While most cats understand quite early how to use the litter box, some kittens (and also older cats) can be hard to train. I once had a cat that was impossible to train. She'd pee everywhere...rugs, plants, floor, you name it...

He's an article that might help you learn more:
Stop Your Cat From Urinating Everywhere

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update:

They have both pooped once each in the tray, was the cutest thing, bruce watched Jess pooh, went and smelled her pooh then turned around and did his own in the tray!

Still a long way to go no doubt but they are learning slowly!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
It might be that they are fussy kittens and need more trays. The rule in general is 1 tray per cat plus an extra tray. Some cats won't wee & poo in the same tray. I'm fortunate, we have 2 cats & 2 trays, one on the landing and one in the kittens room and the kitten uses both, but big cat goes outside for toilets.
If you find they are weeing/pooing particularly in the same place try putting tin foil down on the area or put a litter tray over it.
Good luck. At 10 weeks they should be trained.
How long have you had them?

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Sound advice from catgeoffrey.:)

Also you could get a product called Cat Attract and put it in the litter tray to encourage them to use it.

It may be they are not keen on the litter you are providing -- use one that is sandy, such as a clay type, with no scent added to it, but definitely not one of the clumping sorts, in case the kitties nibble on it (as kitties often do). It would cause a blockage in their gut if they ate it.

Also, as well as putting out extra litter trays it would be worth experimenting with a hooded tray too if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Sound advice from catgeoffrey.:)

Also you could get a product called Cat Attract and put it in the litter tray to encourage them to use it.

It may be they are not keen on the litter you are providing -- use one that is sandy, such as a clay type, with no scent added to it, but definitely not one of the clumping sorts, in case the kitties nibble on it (as kitties often do). It would cause a blockage in their gut if they ate it.

Also, as well as putting out extra litter trays it would be worth experimenting with a hooded tray too if you don't already have one.
Our little kitten will only have a poo in e hooded tray and wees in the none hooded tray! Funny creatures are cats!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.