Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten litter box issues. Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by MileyC12, Jul 16, 2021.

1. MileyC12

MileyC12 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I was hoping i could find some help here as I am completely lost at the moment. Before anyone says anything, I do have a vet appointment booked for tomorrow to also see if Snowball has any health issues.

So we got our kitten 2 weeks back. He is 13 weeks old at the moment. We just purchased a house and thought he would make a great addition.The previous owners told us that he had no issues at all using the litter box and for the first week it was all fine but yesterday he peed in the bed in our guest room whilst we were at work.

For the first week we left him locked in the kitchen/dining room with all toys blankets, bed and litter box whilst we were at work and during the night so he could get used to the house and know where the litter box is. He was using it perfectly fine. Whilst we are at home, we let him roam around all the rooms freely and he never peed anywhere than the litter box. On Monday we decided to stop locking him up in the kitchen. He used his litter box fine Monday and Tuesday but all of a sudden yesterday i come home to a massive pee stain on our guest room bed.

I clean his litter box twice a day so it was odd when the day before (Wednesday) there was no pee in it but I didn’t really think anything of it until this happened yesterday. I have been keeping an eye on him since last night and he has been peeing in the litter box just fine.

I have been doing a lot of googling and I am so confused now because it seems like the cause of this can be a million different reasons. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Do kittens that age just simply have such accidents and should we keep him locked in the kitchen for longer when we can’t keep an eye on him? Thank you for any tips!

2. Isolette

Isolette PetForums Senior

My take is that he is simply exploring and marking. Limiting his territory a while longer will help. Takes a while longer to settle his boundaries.

Wondering how many here give their pets full reign of the house when they are out? I never did.

Keep doors closed if you are out? Marking is second nature.

He does not need to roam about. Especially if you are out.

Also maybe clean the tray once a day only?

3. MileyC12

Thank you for the advice i was thinking we let him roam freely too early. In relation to the marking, is it normal for it to be a massive pee stain? It seemed like he was holding it in for a long time before he went. Soaked the bedding and the mattress.

4. Isolette

With a kitten that age who knows.. He may have got distracted... Was the door back to the kitchen still open? Keep an eye on the litter tray, and close him in the kitchen when you are out? NB a little fluid does go a long way. He is still a baby

Training is a process not an event.

#4 Isolette, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I would suggest that ,if possible, clean it out everytime it is used .I would also give your kitten another couple of litter trays in other rooms of the house.When a kitten "needs to go" it doesn't have time to go looking for where it thinks its tray is.
    I also don't agree that "marking" is second nature ,it is more likely a sign of an unhappy cat or a health issue.
    As for allowing freedom to roam once a kitten /cat is comfortable with its surroundings I dont see a problem allowing him to explore the house as long as the rooms open to him are kitten proof and safe .
    I have never restricted any cats from rooms other than the bathroom which isn't the safest room in most homes.

Edited to remove other member's name.

#5 buffie, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2021
    lorilu likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Kitten may have gotten caught short. At that age they don't know they have to pee until they have to pee right away.

Add more litter boxes in the house, so there is always one near by. As he gets older you can get rid of all of them except two or three. Cats need at least two litter boxes.

buffie likes this.
  7. MileyC12

Thank you all for your responses. This has given me some ideas of how to try and help him.

i do have a vet appointment tomorrow to make sure he is all ok and he seems happy in the home. i have had several cats growing up and he is for sure the most exited and playful cat i have encountered, which is lovely for me as after a long day its nice to just play with him and relax. He also loves to fall asleep on my lap!

i will also add more litter boxes around the house as suggested and hopefully this will help him. I think i might keep him in the kitchen for another week or so whilst I am out of the house and then let him roam freely minus the bathroom of course.

my partner has been working from home due to Covid but had to be in the office the last couple of weeks due to an emergency. he will be working from home again in a week or so, so Snowball will never be on his own.

Isolette likes this.
  8. Isolette

Wise lady. Each has different experiences and different wisdom. None is wrong. Just different. Good luck with him; he has a caring and loving owner, and that is the foundation every cat needs.

MileyC12 likes this.
  9. MileyC12

Thank you! I am trying to make sure he has the best possible life he could

Isolette likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice