Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten lethargic PLEASE READ :(

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Megan Curran, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Megan Curran

Megan Curran PetForums Junior

hey guys,on boxing Day my kitten Loki (5 months) was acting very dull and tired so I took him to the emergency vet and he found a temperature he was giving a antibiotic injection and painkillers ,I returned him the next week to have it rechecked and his temperature was fine! A week past and I noticed he looked dull again off and on but eating good,I had him booked in for nutering in a few days I thought Al mention to the vet then! The vet Suggested we run a blood test to see what they could find and a few hours later I got a call to say they didn't neuter him because they found high white cell count,more antibiotics and painkillers and I took him back last week to have his WCC rechecked it had gone down a little bit but still not in normal range,but this week he has developed a mouth sores,the vet said he wasn't sure what it was but he didn't like the look of it and a biopsy and viral swab is required,he's back in again on Thursday to have this done,he still pretty tired! I'm literally at my wit's end I can't stop crying with the stress ,five weeks this has being goiny on and I just worry that he has FIP! had anyone any similar story's? even bad news or words of advice I would greatly appreciate it! :(

Attached Files:

2. Megan Curran

This is also on his cheek,I wake up every day to it weeping blood,I've been cleaning it with salt water vet does not want to provided a cream incase it might be herpes he said it would spread!

Attached Files:

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ouch that looks sore, poor Loki! If it keeps bleeding it is probably because he is scratching it. The risk is he will make it infected by introducing bacteria off his claws.

I recommend you buy some Leucillin. It is an antiseptic solution specially for pets and is very well tolerated I have found. The cats I have used it on do not try and wash it off, unlike some types of antiseptic. Perhaps because it has almost no smell to it.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/leucillin-antiseptic-multi-pet-skin-care-50ml-dropper

I would clean the sore with cooled boiled water as you have been, and pat dry with clean paper towel and then dab on some Leucillin with cotton wool or a clean cotton bud, to keep the sore clean.

I am sorry he is unwell, bless him. I understand it must be very worrying for you.

Where is the vet taking the biopsy from ? A viral swab will not pinpoint FIP, as I expect you know, only that he may have a high titre of FCoV.

There is a treatment for FIP now which is not cheap but has been very effective in many cases. But it needs to be started as soon as possible after diagnosis.. There is a support group on Facebook called FIP Warriors and you may want to consider joining it.

I hope Loki will be OK. xx

4. Megan Curran

I suggested a antiseptic but the vet said he wasnt sure because it's so close to the eye! He's taking a viral swab for things like calicivirus and herpes and they taking the biopsy from the mouth scabs! I'm not sure I even want him to have surgery if I'm honest,one part of me thinks yeah it will come back with somthing that we can treat and another part of me thinks it's just going to stress him out even more! He didn't eat his favourite food tonight for the first time and went straight back to sleep really unlike him! Thankyou for your kind words :( xx

chillminx likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, I was thinking maybe Calicivirus, because I know it can cause quite serious mouth sores, as well as lethargy and raised WBC. It is probably a good idea to have the mouth sores biopsied...

Did your kitty have both his core vaccinations?

Sending many healing thoughts to dear Loki and much sympathy to you. x

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Has your kitten been tested for FIV and Feline Leukemia as well.

7. Megan Curran

Yes he's had both his vaccinations! Hope to find out more on Thursday,will keep you posted ! :)

8. Megan Curran

Yeah he had a full blood test!

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

These tests are separate from other blood work.

spotty cats likes this.
  10. Megan Curran

Yeah the vet said he tested for those two plus other things x

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I assumed the vet had carried out comprehensive testing of Loki, in view of his persistent symptoms and him being as unwell as he is. I am glad to hear the vet has been thorough. I expect nothing less of a UK vet ! :)

I am glad Loki has had his core vaccinations. Vaccines are not 100% protection against catching one of the core viruses, but usually symptoms are less severe if they do catch it. I know of several young cats who have been very poorly with Calicivirus, even though they have been vaccinated (FCV being one of the core viruses vaccinated against ) Some of Loki's symptoms do fit with FCV, though there is often a concurrent upper respiratory infection. Though not always IME.

#11 chillminx, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice