Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Kitten leaving poo marks everywhere!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Vixen1975, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Vixen1975

Vixen1975 PetForums Newbie

We have had our kitten for 2 weeks and he’s 10 weeks old. He has had a clean bill of health from the vet, has a good appetite and is full of life. He does all his business in his litter tray with no problems, but is constantly leaving poo marks on us, our clothes and the furniture. His rear end is often a mess and smelly, although his stools are formed (not diarrhoea), he also has terribly smelly wind and we are constantly having to wipe his bum. Is this a normal kitten thing that will get better or do you think there could be a problem? We are feeding him Felix kitten food as this is what the breeder gave him, but I wondered if we should change to something else? Thanks for you advice!!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, it isn't normal for a kitten to have a messy bum. Your kitten's stools may be formed but it sounds as though they are soft, not firm as they should be and that's probably why some faeces are sticking to his bottom after a poo.

The smelly intestinal wind indicates there is a digestive problem. Felix Kitten food contains a percentage of vegetable protein (soya) which a cat is unable to digest because they lack the correct enzyme to do so. Also with such foods the cat seems to defecate more often than on better quality wet foods. It is normal for a kitten to poo twice in 24 hours, any more frequently than that could suggest there is something in the diet not suiting him.

I would take him off the Felix and instead feed him home cooked chicken drum sticks, served without the bone, but with plenty of the cooking liquid (the stock). Feed him this until his stools become firmer and he is passing them cleanly without leaving a residue on his bottom. It should be a couple of days or so. He should be passing stools comfortably though, not having to strain.

Avoid foods such as Felix and Whiskas etc and instead gradually transfer him to a good quality Kitten food such as :

Natures Menu Kitten food,
    Hilife Kitten food,
    Wainwrights Kitten food
    Lily's Kitchen Kitten food

All the above can be bought from Pets at Home.

Once he is passing firm, formed stools start giving him one spoonful a meal of a new cat food on a separate dish to his chicken and increase the new cat food day by day if he continues to pass firm stools. If the stools become soft again (messy bum) go back to the chicken diet for a a day or two - as necessary.

Feed him no dry food and no milk of any kind as both these can cause soft stools.

A cat's stools need to be firm so that when the cat defecates the right amount of pressure is put in the rectum to make the anal gland sacs empty as they should. If the stools are less than firm the glands won't empty and that can cause problems.

Good quality wet cat foods can be bought on line from The Happy Kitty Co. There are a couple of kitten foods, but all the foods they sell are suitable for all stages of development. Many of us on the forum feed our cats these foods. They are good quality and nutritious, and do not contain veg protein or grains.

https://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/collections/cat-food/Cat

I also recommend buying some unscented baby wipes to keep handy in case there are occasions when your kitten has a messy bottom.

Summercat likes this.
  3. Vixen1975

Thanks so much for the advice!
    Am cooking the chicken as we speak. So good to be able to get help from someone with experience. Thanks again.

chillminx likes this.
  4. Vixen1975

Hi Chilminx,
    Ozzie has been on the chicken for 3 days and we have started to introduce a small amount of Natures Menu kitten food. He is so much better now, no mess at all, and only going for a poo once a day, but I’m worried he’s now becoming constipated as he hasn’t pooed since yesterday morning. Is that ok?
    Thanks again!!

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It's usual for a kitten of his age to poo twice in 24 hours. I think you could increase the Natures Menu to double what you've been giving him so far and reduce the amount of chicken by a corresponding amount. Hopefully that should get his bowel working without him getting soft poos again.

Vixen1975 likes this.
  6. Vixen1975

Thanks for all the advice. On the cooked chicken Ozzie was like a new cat, no mess and firm poos, he has now been on Natures Menu alone for about 5 days now, he’s poos are still much firmer but he’s not as clean and he’s started leaving bits of poo and poo marks again in the kitchen near his tray (he is doing his main business in the tray). Should we persevere with the Natures Menu or go back to the cooked chicken and slowly introduce something else? Thanks.

7. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Is he missing the target or dropping it on his way out?

My dads cat has always enjoyed perching near the edges of his litter trays. He’s happy enough with them, just never goes central, and occasionally he would get a bit of overhang and miss. He seemed to think if his front paws were in the middle it was okay!

High sided trays solved this - they now have covered boxes which they do actually like (not all cats do), but covered litter boxes also tend to have very high sides so are good to use even without the lid on for aiming issues (and enthusiastic diggers).

8. Vixen1975

No he’s doing it in the tray, but as it’s leaving his bum messy some drops off after or when he sits down!

9. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Oh bless him.

I think it may be worth going back to plain chicken for a little while? If he was perfect on that, that’s your start point. Perhaps the move to Natures Menu was too sudden? If he’s perfect on even say 50:50 NM: chicken for a little while I’d stick with that.

As soon as you notice him getting worse - reset back to the chicken.

Of course Natures Menu may not totally agree with him which is another option.

#9 SuboJvR, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    chillminx likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I'd do as SubojvR advises and go back to the plain chicken diet until he is passing firm stools again and keeping a clean bottom.

Then, if it were me, I'd take a break from the Natures Menu, and slowly introduce a different cat food, e..g. perhaps HiLife Tempt Me, or Lily's Kitchen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice