Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Issues ! :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kitty_Khaleesi, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Kitty_Khaleesi

Kitty_Khaleesi PetForums Junior

Hey all, I have had a few ongoing issues and I have looked online but hoping to get some solid advice about this.

We got the kitten who is now 15 weeks, with some litter (the bio paper pellets), which we filled an open topped litter box which had a "rim cover" around it.

I wanted to move her on to catsan litter so bought a duplicate box and filled it with the catsan stuff beside it. Great news is she is using this new litter as her primary without coaxing so good news! Bad news is that her litter habbits have cause for concern. First is that she is not always burying her poop. Second that she has "missed" the litter box a few times and tends to drop her leavings around the side of the box. I am wondering maybe my box is too small but it is this one .

Second thing is that the kitty's breath is really really bad. like stinking! Whats worse is that she is licking herself and coating herself in this stinky smell :( any ideas?

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Teething, perhaps.

Catsan stinks. I used to use it but switched to OKO and now I never notice any smell except immediately after he's done a poo. Nothing lingers.

cava14 una and moggie14 like this.
  3. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

She might find Catsan rough on her little paws and that's why she is not burying although some cats never do, I personally can't stand the stuff it stinks really quickly

4. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Catsan is horrible stuff, I was dumping my two trays everyday as it stunk and was so expensive and the cats didn't like going in it if someone had already peed in it, so I too swapped to Oko, it was a revelation, no more accidents and so much cheaper and much more fun scooping the big balls of wee, but my Monty doesn't and hasn't ever been a burier of poop, he does all the actions and rat-a-tats at the side of the litter box forever but never ever covers it over :rolleyes: So your kitty might be the same, and I agree with CK that it might be teething, but if you are very concerned then maybe pop her to the vets, if she is teething you might hear graunchy horrible noises when she eats as my two made horrible noises when eating when they were teething.

Temporally_Loopy and moggie14 like this.
  5. TeddyMum

TeddyMum Mum to Teddy and Matilda xx

My Matilda never buried her poop...although she makes digging noises and pretends!
    Ted does though...
    Catsan is I av to agree very smelly fast and doesn't last...oko here too atm no smells.
    Maybe try a hooded litter box and remove the door .

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

The bad breath is almost certainly teething, though you don't always hear the graunchy noises.

7. Kitty_Khaleesi

Kitty_Khaleesi PetForums Junior

Yeah i am going to investigate the OKO stuff, i bought like 5 big bags of that catsan so its catsan for a while i think. No one thinks it might be a box issue? I dont fancy buying another one if i can avoid it :p

8. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

How small is the litter box as I found the bigger and deeper the better but thats because Monty likes to have two feet on the edge the tray when using it so can easily go over the edge, even with the side guard.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

With regards to the box ,which one do you have as the one you linked to comes in 3 sizes.
    I did have the Jumbo size for Meeko and found it a bit too small for him as an adult.,if its the of smaller of the other 2 sizes it may be a bit too small.
    You could try taking the rim off I found that helped a bit for my lad until I bought him a bigger high backed tray,but as others have said the litter is most likely not to his liking.

10. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Bertie is an OKO boy too. Sometimes he covers, sometimes he doesn't - he digs, and digs, and digs, and scratches the sides, and the floor but doesn't necessarily do the job.

As to bad breath, I've noticed that when Bertie has had awful breath then - when I've looked his teeth - there are definitely some coming through as the gums are red and you can see tiny points breaking through.

I bought him some Catsan before he arrived but then, seeing what he was using at the breeder's, decided not to use it. He went from wood pellets to Oko, Catsan looked a little hard to me. I donated my bag of it to the local cats' home - they are always looking for litter, food etc. You will probably find one in your area to get rid of things to if you really hate the Catsan.

11. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

We had a rimmed litter tray but took the rim off as she didn't have enough space and now we have an XL one as Popcorn use to walk in her poop whilst she tried to bury it and usually failed but the XL one is fine for her! We use catsan with no probs other than it does smell quickly but we change it regularly!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice