Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten is pooping in front of the litter tray!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Apollo1, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Apollo1

Apollo1 PetForums Member

i have 2 BSH both 5 months old from different litters, ive had the boy 6 weeks and the girl just 3 weeks, they both use the litter tray ( i have 1 large tray), but in the last 3 days my female kitten has started pooping outside the tray just in front of it! or on the bathroom floor, she still peeing in the tray but not pooping. ive tried putting an extra tray in the bathroom but she wont use it...i tried moving it in front of the other tray but she will just go in the bathroom again, she is eating great and playing just fine, im at a loss...please help

2. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest more trays which has always worked for us but if you've tried that I'm not sure.

Are you going to be spaying her? If so you may want to consider doing it now as that may change this behaviour?

3. Apollo1

Apollo1 PetForums Member

i do plan on getting fixed, but in the meantime im going to try a third tray, thanks for your advice though!

4. claudius

claudius PetForums Newbie

Our cat does the same thing, we think she got spooked by our younger cat while having a poo once and ever since she won't poo in a tray, we have 3 now and she still goes on the mats or rugs in front of the trays. If we catch her in time we can kind of force her to go in a tray but its under duress. The younger cat passed away on Saturday and we now have a 10 week old kitten and were hoping that the older one would start using the tray but no!

I also think its fussyness she likes a tray that hasn't been used, problem is both the other cat and new kitten have no scruples and just use whichever tray is closer. If you find a solution I would love to hear about it, good luck!

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Try a different type of litter - she may use it more if you find one she likes. I use Costco's Litter Purrfect which is a really good clumping litter at a reasonable price. :)

6. Amzy

Amzy PetForums Junior

One of my babies, princess pheonix will will not go and poo in the litter tray unless it is spotless!

Like seriously! She will poo right at the side of it but not in it!

She isnt called princess for no reason!

Even a tiny bit of poo and she is like no im not going in there!
    Even if it has been peed in!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice