Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Insurance

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lilolil88, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Lilolil88

Lilolil88 PetForums Junior

I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what company to get insurance from for my two 8 week old kittens.

I have never had pet insurance before so I am not sure what levels of cover I should get on the policy. I am not really sure what things to check I am covered for so any advice or pointers would be appreciated :smile5:

2. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Can you get insurance for 8 week old kittens does anybody know? Just wondered as they're obviously more as risk of illness than some others.
    I'm not sure...

For generally cat/kitten insurance try giving Petplan a call. They're very good and can tell you if they insure them at that age

3. Lunaowen

Lunaowen PetForums Member

Hi,
    When I took Luna to the vets for the first time last week they did a kitten plan where we paid £54 something and with that we get all first vaccinations, flea and worming treatment, chip, 10% off neutering, 2 10% off vouchers for Just for pets and 4 weeks free insurance immediately effective we will then get a call to see if we want to carry on the insurance after this time. the insurance is with Petplan I have just checked for you. the phone number is 08001975860 and website petplan.co.uk/vet. Hope this helps I don't know much about pet insurance myself but think I will carry on with them am going to read up on it properly and decide before the 4 weeks is up. Good luck x x

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thought I was going mad :eek:.I've answered on your other thread in Cat Health ;)

5. Lunaowen

Lunaowen PetForums Member

PS they can be covered from 6 weeks old x x

6. oreilly86

oreilly86 PetForums Newbie

I have tried pet insurance in the past but didn't really find it to be worth it unless your animal has serious medical conditions that require constant trips to the vet. But even then there are things they won't cover. I would say something like a veterinary discount plan is more economical in the long run, and you don't have to wait around for reimbursement checks or deal with claim forms. My sister in the USA uses Pet Assure and gets a very reasonable discount at the time of payment. They will also accommodate pre-existing conditions and it's only a few quid per month for coverage. Maybe one day they will come to the UK!

7. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Insurance isn't just a good idea - it's vital. You will be able to cover your kittens but you should be aware that for the first 2 weeks (or thereabouts) they won't be covered for illness - only accident. (It prevents people taking out a policy when their animal falls ill).

You should aim for a 'life long' policy (see link in my sig for details). Don't be taken in by how much others pay - all policies depend on the age/sex/breed of the animal and where you live.

Free insurance with Pet Plan - this isn't life long cover. If anything happens during that 4 weeks it will be excluded from any future policy - even Pet Plan's! I'd advise you to wait until you are half way through the 4 weeks and then take out a life long policy with them online. That way you'll get a month's discount on the 'proper' policy. If you are insuring more than one animal you'll get a multi-pet discount. The discount is applied to the premium of the first pet - no matter how many pets you insure :) If you are over 65 you'll also get £1 a month off your premium. Link here: Pet Plan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice