Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten help.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Tee33, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Tee33

Tee33 PetForums Newbie

I've just took on an 8 week old kitten. I have 2 other cats, a 9yr old & 2yr old. I'm keeping the kitten in spare room for now, she has everything she needs. Just wondering how long should I keep her in a room by herself before letting her come downstairs & meeting my other 2. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Tee33. You need to introduce your new kitten slowly and gradually to your other 2 cats, so the adult cats can get the measure of her at their own pace. The best way to do this is keep the kitten in her safe room for a week with you spending lots of time with her.

Then fit an inexpensive screen door to the doorway of her room (so the screen opens outward, the opposite way to the wooden door). The idea is the kitten and your two cats can see and smell each other but can't get at each other. So the kitten is safe from being attacked, and the adults don't feel their space is being invaded before they are ready to accept the newcomer.

I have used the screen door method to introduce all new feline arrivals in my home and I assure you it is the best method, causing the least disruption and disharmony to the resident cats.

One of the things that's very important when you introduce a new cat or kitten is preventing chasing or fights. The screen door prevents those.

Once the cats can see the kitten through the door without there being any growling, spitting or yowling (though the odd hiss is OK) then it is time to allow the kitten out into the house for limited periods and always under your supervision.

It may take a couple of weeks or longer before your other 2 cats feel Ok with your kitten being allowed out into their territory. Once kitty does come out make sure you provide a big increase in the feline resources, so as to reduce competition. It is very important to do this from the start, not after problems arise.

So:-
    Litter trays - at least 4 for 3 indoor cats. Spread them around the home, not grouped together. Open trays if possible.

Each cat to have a separate feeding station, out of sight of the others and at least 10 ft apart.

No sharing food bowls, no food stealing from each other (buy microchip feeders if necessary)
    Several water bowls spread around.

Cat trees with high up places to sit

Cat scratching posts and pads - several to every room, and always one by every door.

Cat beds - located off the floor, and plenty to choose from.

Hidey holes behind sofas etc, e.g. cardboard boxes on their sides facing away from the room, or igloo beds.

Good luck. :) Photos would be nice :)

3. Tee33

Tee33 PetForums Newbie

IMG_0013.JPG Thank you chillminx. My oldest cat won't come upstairs so do you think bringing the kitten down in a cat carrier, for short periods, would be ok? Think I've added a pic, she's called Casa.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww what a very pretty kitten! Gorgeous. :)

Rather than using the cat carrier which would be too cramped for Casa to spend much time in, I would invest in a folding dog crate so you can set it up for short periods of the day in the living room, with Casa's food, water bowl, litter tray and bed. It would be much more comfy for Casa and easier for your other cat to see her.

They are not expensive, this is the kind of thing I mean :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-F...=1498942708&sr=1-1&keywords=folding+dog+crate

You may even be able to borrow one from someone local to you. Worth joining the local social media community in your area and asking there.I have met some very kind & helpful people on there. :)

www.nextdoor.co.uk

5. Tee33

Tee33 PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much. I'll look into getting a dog crate.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice