Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Help - Fleas + Worms

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sheepy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Sheepy

Sheepy PetForums Newbie

Hey there.

I have a 12 week old kitten.
    when I got him 5 days ago, he was riddled with fleas, had worms, a gunky eye, an wasnt eating properly.

Hes now eating well. 3 times a day whiskas wet food and dry food is always left down with fresh water incase hes peckish through out the day.
    I see him drinking plenty of water.
    The person who had him before me was feeding him Felix adult food...... :(

He was constantly going to toilet the first few days.
    Now he has setteled down to around 5 times a day at the mo.

The gunky eye problem is sorted now. I have some eye drops which I used on my other 6 month old kitten around a month ago. He had the same problems with his eyes. when i purchased the worming/flea stuff from the vets the lady said it was fine to use them drops. An they have done the job.
    He can open his eyes now, no yellow gunk an hes really alert.

The problem lies with the fleas an worms.

I have just given him a bath around an hour ago to get all the black bits of dirt off him, as he was covered in it. I think it was flea feces.

The breeder apparently used frontline on him just before i picked him up, but im not so sure.
    He had a wet spot around his shoulders, an the breeder swore blind, but i have know them to use that bob martin stuff in the past on her cats. (I have heard bad things about that stuff)

The first 1/2 days I had him he was scratching an itching like crazy, he seems to be scratching less, but he still has a lot of fleas on him.
    How can i get rid of these? Apply more frontline?

Also I gave him a working tablet 3 days ago (Milbemax) but hes still leaving little whit spots in his bedding. Also he sometimes walks along, an drops to his butt an starts to pull it along the floor.
    What can i do about this? More worming tablets?

Hes a very lively chap, always wanting to play when hes awake, purr's alot when you give him some attention.

Thanks in advanced
    Sheepy

#1 Sheepy, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

Poor little man! I would call your vets and ask if it is ok to Frontline him again, I am sure it will be fine but best to double check because of his age.

As for the wroms, I am afraid it is not a subject I know much about but maybe he needs a stronger vet treatment?? I am sure somebody else will advise shortly!

3. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Poor little fella :(

I've got simillar probelm at the moment. My 7 week old Heniu is ridden with fleas as well as I've seen flea larves in the corners of my living room. The man in the pet shop used on him Johnsons Herbal Flea Drops which is utter rubbish. It's been 5 days since the treatment and he's till got loads of flees. Going to the vet Saturday to use alternative treatment and not sure if you can use the drops again and in what intervals.

Worms - I used Johnsons Worming syroup. As per your description I think he's got tape worms, which ordinary dewormers would not work on as they usually treat the round worms. Again best to see a vet. The first visit is usually free as long as you undertake the injections in the same clininc.

Good Luck

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

It takes up to 24 hrs for all the fleas to go.I think it is the same for the worms too. But you have definately got two of the best preventions out there. Pet shop stuff just does not work.

Have you treated the house with an insecticide? I personally use Indorex. You can buy it from the vets. Because of your pet has fleas then your house will too!!

Poor little guy. Have you any pics yet? We all love pictures on here! xx

5. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

johnsons wormers are as crap as their flea products!!! use a veterinary wormer,panacur,drontal or mibelmax.Fleas=tapeworms!

6. Sheepy

Sheepy PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your replys.
    I'll look into Flea Killer for the house, and i will take a trip over to the vets tomorrow.

From what I have been reading in these forums, I have tried the little man on the dried chicken, an he loves it.
    His last toilet trip was alot better than the others, so that seems to be helping.

I think i read some where about applying sudocream/vasaline to his bottywith a cotton bud to try an help sooth it.
    Is this wise? will it harm him if he licks it??

Here he is, he looks a little cockeyed in this pic though
    [​IMG]

Thanks again :)

7. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

He is just adorable....xxxx ;) :D

8. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

ALL commercial flea and worm products are highly toxic. Cats are particularly sensitive to chemicals.
    The reason cats get fleas and worms is their diet. Cooked and low grade food digests slowly allowing worms to proliferate. Cooked and low grade food alters the pH of the skin to be more attractive to fleas. Once you start feeding a raw meat and bones diet, fleas all but disappear and worms are no longer a problem.
    Treat the cause, rather than the effect.
    Best Cat Health

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Awww Sheepy he is gorgeous!

10. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Thanks for that. Unfortunately ur right. Johnsosns r crap. Going to the vet to get the advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice