Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten has weird health issue

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Gomez_the_kitty, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Gomez_the_kitty

Gomez_the_kitty PetForums Newbie

Hey guys, the title doesn't say much because my new kitten has a weird and a bit gross health issue. His bum seems to be open sometimes. I've only had him for a few days but sometimes I notice a poop smell. I checked his bum to see what was happening and it looks like his bum doesn't close properly. It looks about half open and seems to be lightly twitching. It will stay like this for maybe a minute? It's very hard to tell since he's so active and won't sit still long enough for me to see. It doesn't look sore or anything, just open.
    Most of the time his bum looks normal (closed), but quite a few times a day it will be open.
    It's very weird and a bit disturbing.
    A bit of background: he is probably around 6 months old. I took him over from someone at work who was already bored of him and wanted to get rid of him. He lived with another cat and a big dog. He was not vaccinated. I was thinking it could be worms/parasites? I went to the pharmacy and got him some deworming pills that I gave to him yesterday. I have no idea how fast it should take effect if it is parasites.
    His stool was a bit softer than what I think it should be but generally ok. I have given him some milk so it might be that? I've stopped in any case because he doesn't really like it.
    His urine smells incredibly strong. I have had cats all my life and I've never smelled anything this strong. His breath is also really smelly.
    I got him vaccinated the day I got him.
    He is in great shape otherwise. He is constantly running around and playing. He seems to be eating well (a bit less than I expected but enough).
    He's supposed to go back for the second round of vaccines and sterilization at beginning of March.
    Is the open bum something I should worry about? Should I wait until I'm going back with him to the vet or should I go back sooner?
    I would really appreciate some help with this.

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I would check it out with the vet and mention all the things you've told us here as it obviously bothers you. If he needs any treatment that might delay his spaying so best to find out now. His stools may be looser as that's a common reaction to the wormer.

Torin. likes this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The urine smell is likely because he is sexually mature. Be extremely careful not to let him out until long after he has been neutered. However I would have the vet look at his bottom right away. It doesn't sound normal. If all is well, ask to have him neutered as soon as possible. He might start to srpay in your house. And getting rid of that smell is not easy.

4. Gomez_the_kitty

Thanks!
    Vet suggested doing that with his next shots, I hope he won't start spraying until then! But you are right, the hormones might explain the smell!

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, as lorilu said, his urine smells pungent because he has not been neutered.

His bottom being open sometimes would make me suspect possible constipation or even diarrhoea. Are his stools normal ? (firm and formed, not soft, or not hard and dry).

Does he poo at least once a day, every day?

Gomez_the_kitty and gskinner123 like this.
  6. Gomez_the_kitty

That would actually be great if it's just his hormones that make his pee smell bad, since he's getting spayed pretty soon :D
    He poops once a day, sometimes twice. Now his poo is firm. It was a bit soft one day, but it was probably the milk.
    I've given him some Royal Canin gastro mixed with his food, just in case the milk had given him diarrhea. Would this mean I'm getting a "false positive"? That the gastro food is masking symptoms?
    Today I've still mixed some gastro food with his normal food as to not switch him too sudden from one food to the other.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I would stop giving him any milk. Cats cannot digest milk, and even lactose free milk can cause a problem for some cats.

What food are you feeding him (apart from the RC Gastro)? [I wouldn't mix wet food with dry food in the same bowl by the way...]

8. Gomez_the_kitty

haha giving milk is always controversial :p I kinda wanted to spoil him cos he had such a rough time :(
    What i usually do is, I give my (new) cats milk once (1 day) and see if they get diarrhea and if they do I stop. So he only got it for one day. In any case he didn't really like it, so he's not getting any anymore.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to mix food, so thanks for that!

For now he's only getting dry food.
    When i went to the store, they only thing i could find for kittens was this brand called Freya? I don't know it but I bought it to bridge me over. I'm going to a pet store this weekend, is there any brand you recommend or anything you think I should stay away from?
    I appreciate your help so much!

9. Gomez_the_kitty

Update: the vet thinks it's more likely to be nerve damage than worms. In any case, the pill I've given him against worms is probably not effective because I've given him a treatment for kittens, but he weighs too much. So I will need to repeat the treatment in a few weeks.
    The vet says she's never seen anything like it. If it is nerve damage, he might recover or might not. If he doesn't, he might have some incontinence problems in the future :(

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Gomez_the_kitty - aww, bless him, nerve damage to his bottom?! :( How can that have happened? Does the vet think he was mistreated before you adopted him? :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice