Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten has a fever

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Khilona, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Khilona

Khilona PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

So I adopted a kitten called Sunny in December, his foster kept telling me that I should get a second kitten for him so he has a playmate and can bond. I adopted the second kitten called Oliver who I fetched this past weekend. From Sunday to Wednesday I have spent every day trying to bond them or make them get along, finally they got along and were playing together. Note that when you adopt a pet they are required to have vaccinations, Sunny has had his 2nd vac and Oliver has had his first before being adopting by me. They have both tested negative for FIV and Felv.

On Wednesday mid evening I noticed Sunny looking lethargic and felt very warm, I rubbed a cold cloth on him and checked for any wounds - there were none. Next morning (Thursday) I took him to the vet, he had a temp of 40c. They put him on fluids and antibiotics, run their blood tests which all came back negative and they checked for any wounds and pain from his body. I called 3 times yesterday because I am so worried, they said his temp went to 41c which I dont understand if he is on antibiotics and IV - why would his temp increase..

Now it is Friday morning and I am anxiously waiting for their call.. I keep asking myself if I had adopted Oliver - would this have happened? My other concern is knowing what the cause is and I am pretty sure the vet will just say it's a "fever of unknown origin" and what if it occurs again..

Have any of you been through the same thing? Did your vet manage to find the cause?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Firstly it's best to let them sort themselves out - trying to make them be friends could be very stressful for them. Young kittens usually manage very ell.

If he has a virus then antibiotics won't help, and even if he has a bacterial infection they don't work instantly. The IV will be to keep him hydrated and won't affect his temperature.

lorilu and bluesunbeam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice