Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten got under the floorboards, help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by annawom, Apr 27, 2019.

1. annawom

annawom PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

Brought two kittens home on Thursday night and they are just 8 weeks. Both have been very nervous and have been hiding most of the time. This morning one of the kittens managed to pull part of my kitchen unit off and get underneath where there is a little hole in the floorboard. He must have gone underneath and is now under our house. It’s been at least 6 hours since he went down and I haven’t heard him meow once. This kitten in particular has been really nervous and shaky around us but whenever his sister calls him he usually runs to her. She’s been calling him all day and he hasn’t appeared. I’ve had the floorboards up in parts of the house but I can’t locate him. I’m really worried, tried to lure him out with food to no success. What should I do? He isn’t used to my call so isn’t responding.

2. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Poor baby. Hopefully he’s just gone to sleep. Have you tried smelly food, like tuna? Plumbers sometimes have a camera (endoscope) that can go under floor boards.

spotty cats and kimthecat like this.
  3. annawom

annawom PetForums Newbie

Yep tried tuna! I might try finding someone with a camera and see if that helps us. I’m worried he won’t want to come back out as he doesn’t know us and he’s been shaking like a leaf since we got him. Poor thing, I’m devastated :(

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Could you contact a Rescue and borrow a trap, located near where he went under, and bait it with smelly food ? He might venture out when the house is quiet tonight, when you're in bed ( not that I expect you to sleep !)

AmsMam, cheekyscrip and buffie like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I know there is some doubt on the forum about the RSPCA but in this situation I think you do need the help of someone experienced in this sort of thing.
    Personally I would phone around rescues be it RSPCA /SSPCA /Cat Protection or even on your local FB groups as an 8 week old kitten will need to be rescued pretty quickly.
    Good luck and please keep us posted

6. annawom

annawom PetForums Newbie

We have managed to see him by shining a torch and he was sleeping behind some bricks, he popped his head up and looked at us but went back to sleep! He seems ok but no sign of him coming out. Sadly RSPCA can’t help I’ve tried and there’s no shelters open due to it being the weekend!

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If you look on line there will be a 24 hour hot line for animals in distress etc.
    I did have a quick look but I think they are broken down into "regions" so you would probably need to phone the one for your area.
    I would urge you not to leave this as kittens can go down hill very quickly without food and water.

Soozi likes this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

You need to get him out as a matter of urgency

Scouttie and buffie like this.
  9. annawom

annawom PetForums Newbie

Everywhere I’ve rang has said that I just need to leave smelly food out and leave him to come out on his own. RSPCA said we have to wait at least 24 hours before they will look at other options. He has been meowing so at least we know he’s alive :(

10. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Maybe your local fire and rescue department would help? I have a friend who works for the fire department as an animal rescuer and I believe he's dealt with cases similar to this.

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Do the RSPCA know how tiny he is ? I'm sure you've told them, but in my view they are being seriously negligent, he will most likely be dead in 24 hours.
    Does he sound close to the point where he got under the floorboards ?

buffie likes this.
  12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If this was my kitten I would have every floorboard in the house up by now if that's what it takes to get the poor little kitten to safety.

13. annawom

annawom PetForums Newbie

He’s finally come out now and is absolutely fine, covered in dust but he’s had lots of food and water and is playing with his sister. He’s come out full of confidence and happy to be back with us rather than down in the dirt.

Thank you for all your advice and concerns. I would of course pulled up every floorboard if that was a possibility but it wasn’t; the house is very old and parts of the flooring is concrete, so it’s like a maize under there. Thankfully it’s not very deep and is flat so he didn’t have to climb back up.

I’m so so happy he’s back and safe and I’m never turning my back on him again, he managed to pull the kitchen unit off and crawl through a floorboard in 3 minutes! X

Emmasian, Shrike, AmsMam and 21 others like this.
  14. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness, what a relief! At least he is ok and eating/happy.

Psygon likes this.
  15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Phew! So pleased he managed to get out Ok! I would go round the house looking for anymore nooks and crannies he might be able to get in to and block them up. Watch cables too they can easily get themselves tangled up or even chew on them. Glad all ok! x

16. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

So pleased he's come out, are you able to block the space up now he's out?

17. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

That's good news...phew!

18. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Barney managed to climb behind our fireplace through a hole we didn't know existed. Gave us the fright of our lives. I had to pull the fireplace off the wall - Barney just popped his head up and was very reluctant to come out but I managed to coax him out. The moment I took my hands off him he made a dash for the fireplace again!

Psygon and chillminx like this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@annawom - I'm so pleased the kitten is out from under the floorboards and is safe. Kittens love to explore and will squeeze themselves into any small spaces. :( .

As they have only been with you a few days it would be a good idea to give them a safe room that is less risky than a kitchen. I appreciate that in an old house there may be gaps all over the house but if you gave them e.g. a bedroom as their safe room, it may be easier to identify any gaps and block them up.

If the rooms have fireplaces not in use it is best to get draught excluders fitted inside the chimney. They come in various sizes so you can get the best fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=chimney+draft+blocker&crid=2ZO1YHGADJBWU&sprefix=chimney+blockers,baby,138&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16

Alternatively you could buy an extendable fireguard like this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe...SCNDPT1A01S&psc=1&refRID=WWWS7YA5NSCNDPT1A01S

BarneyBobCat and Soozi like this.
  20. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

We got some chimney sheep draft excluders for the chimneys in our house that aren't in use. Only it turned out that the little toggle that hangs down so you can remove them again was an amazing toy... So they didn't last very long.

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice