Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten goes nuts when I get home

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by SashasMum, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SashasMum

SashasMum PetForums Newbie

Hello, long time lurker, first post.

We have had Sasha, a Siberian cat, since he was 13 weeks old, he's now around 23 weeks and was castrated a couple of weeks ago.
    Sasha is an indoor cat and that will always be the case until we have a garden and can build him a cat run.

He's always been pretty well behaved up until the last month, now he goes nuts when I get home from work (I work 4 days a week). He's always been very vocal, typical of the breed, but now he miaows so loud when I get home the lady in the flat opposite has stuck her head out the door to see what's going on only to see me being smothered by him before I'm even through the door. He's then not happy until he's had a cuddle. And then the biting starts - wrist gets grabbed and bunny kicks. I try very hard not to react and just put him down and walk away. Then he starts tearing around the house and going for my feet. If I sit on the sofa he's straight into my lap, purrs for 5 seconds and then goes for my legs or arms again. Somewhere along the line I have become a toy altho we never encourage play aggression and he has lots of toys we do play with him with, trying to wear him out every evening as I know he's likely bored during the day despite all the interactive toys I've bankrupted myself buying! He just ignores them, he wants human interaction, miaowing/yodelling at us constantly when we're in the house. When we go out we don't make a fuss and leave the radio or TV on quietly if we'll be more than 4 hours or so. I recently had a couple of weeks off work sick and the behaviour was the same although I now know he spends most of the day asleep, of course, saving it for when he's awake or my partner gets home. He does have his purry cuddly moments still but these are becoming more infrequent as he gets older. We get chin and nose licks and finger nibbles - he obviously doesn't hate us.

Getting another cat for company isn't an option at the moment.

I guess I'm after reassurance that this is normal behaviour for a young cat and we're doing the right thing by him. I don't want to get to the point where he's more annoying than enjoyable but it's getting a bit much for me :( it needs to stop as he's a big breed as well, at 5 months already 2.7kg, and he has v powerful hind legs.

He's watching me from the floor as I type this out :)

Attached Files:

#1 SashasMum, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Adolescence?

http://cattime.com/cat-facts/health/397-adolescent-cats-what-to-expect

https://thecatsite.com/threads/do-cats-have-a-teenage-phase.208562/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...8Ps2L3TAhVMLsAKHV6JAQwQsAQIZg&biw=911&bih=441

https://www.petcha.com/you-cant-make-me-the-challenges-of-the-adolescent-cat/

3. SashasMum

18 months? Oh man!

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

[​IMG]

But it's not for ever! Keep telling yourself it's not for ever! And it is perfectly normal behaviour for cats so you aren't doing anything wrong and he doesn't have a horrible nature, it's just ... he's a teen!

Don't worry, lots of people on here have had the same experience and should have some good advice. Have a browse through Cat Chat and you will see you are absolutely not the only one to have gone through this.:D

5. SashasMum

Thanks - I feel really silly, I thought typical adolesence behaviour would be linked with hormones and now that he's had his op this wouldn't be an issue anymore. But there we go!

Are we doing the right things - ignoring it etc. Really hate to think he's bored and unhappy and taking it out on me.

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think it does take a while for the hormones to disappear. It's not an immediate thing. But yeah, it's also to do with age.

And yes, you are doing the right things and he doesn't hate you. He's just being a teen. Which is synonomous with pain in the backside!

7. SashasMum

Thanks - I will try to find it amusing instead of infuriating! Did I mention he also pees down the bath plughole?! It's a good job he's so cute!

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It's the reason why they are cute, otherwise no-one would want one!

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am sure @chillminx will be along soon with loads of helpful advice, she really is an expert in cat behaviour.
    Two things from me....what are you feeding him? Many cats react badly to high carb or dry food and this can show in their behaviour......My Mitzy was manic when fed the odd dry meal as a kitten.
    Also.....I would advise against actively dissuading him from using the plug hole to wee down....in my experience if you block that route they can move on to pee in even less favourable locations! Instead make sure he has a choice of litter boxes, both kept really clean and filled with good quality clumping cat litter ( Oko plus is good but can track, others prefer clay such as Tigerino Nuggies, both available from Zooplus)

chillminx likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @SashasMum and welcome. :)

It does sound as though Sasha is rather excitable at present! And very, very glad to see you when you come home. :)

Being neutered at 21 weeks it is likely he was already becoming sexually mature by then, so his hormone levels would have been high and as @Mirandashell says ^^ it does take time (possibly a couple of months) for the levels to fall. So there is that to consider.

It sounds as though he gets so excited at seeing you he gets over-stimulated and frantic. I can see it must difficult to know how to deal with this without feeling overwhelmed. I would be inclined, on coming home to such an exuberant greeting, to give him your undivided attention for half an hour until he has calmed down and accepted you are home for the evening. It may sound counter-intuitive to do this but I think if Sasha sees he gets your full attention for a while when you come in, he would soon learn the homecoming routine and gradually become calmer, less frantic, less desperate to please.

But it is very important to redirect his attention away from you so you don't get scratched or bitten in his excitement. Don't push him away or walk away as such, but instead grab a fishing rod toy such as the wonderful popular Flying Frenzy and keep him at arms length by getting him leaping around, cartwheeling etc, chasing the toy, so he can use up some of his pent up energy.

I would also buy a few of the Kong Kickeroo toys which cats love to bite and kick. Keep them handy in spots around the house so you can always grab one and slip it between his paws if he starts to bunny kick you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pet-Supp...&qid=1493416814&sr=1-9&keywords=kong+kickeroo

Don't walk away when he is busily kicking and biting the toy, but stay with him and maybe do as I do with one of my cats, (who gets very excitable) - I grab the very end of the Kong Kickeroo's tail and gently pull it while my cat furiously bunny-kicks and bites the padded part. So my cat and I are interacting, having a tug of war, which he loves. :D The interaction is the important bit.

I would also do as Paddypaws suggests and review Sasha's diet, so he is not getting a lot of carbohydrates in his diet. High carbs can cause erratic, excitable behaviour in cats. Cats do not need carbs, they need protein and fats (plus minerals & vitamins). Wet food is always best as dry food is high in carbs. I would choose foods that are grain free with no added sugars. i.e. not supermarket foods such as Felix or Whiskas.

It does sound possible when he greets you so frantically that he may be hungry, so if you wanted to leave him a meal of wet food to eat while you are out, I can recommend using a timed autofeeder. I used one successfully for years with my cats when I was out at work all day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pet-Supp...3417722&sr=8-16&keywords=auto+feeder+for+cats

claire8234 and Paddypaws like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice