Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten gaining weight but looking skinnier - HELP!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Seb_the_Siamese, May 20, 2020.

1. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

Hi everyone - my siamese kitten, seb has been gaining weight well since he joined us, but over the last two days he has suddenly looked a lot skinnier? Skinny to the point where his ribs are visible at times but I can’t really feel his spine. I don't know if this is something that we should be worried about or whether it is just a case of him having a sudden growth spurt and the rest of him hasn't quite caught up yet. He is still absolutely full of beans, eating regularly and visiting the litter box. He was on RC mother and baby cat and Felix AGAIL but am transitioning him over to Animonda carny (he barely eats any RC - I leave a sauce of it out for him overnight). Any advice would be very helpful as I dont know whether to be worried at all!

#1 Seb_the_Siamese, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

How old is he? Kittens go through a gangly stage. Gaining weight is good while growing.

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  3. Seb_the_Siamese

He’s 11 weeks now

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Kittens do go through s few phases of looking skinny suddenly, and looking chubby suddenly as their precious bodies grow. Are those wet foods you are feeding him? He should be on a wet diet for optimal health and well being.

chillminx and Seb_the_Siamese like this.
  5. Seb_the_Siamese

thanks - yes wet foods, apart from the RC which he barely eats anymore

lorilu likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Throw it away. :)

Seb_the_Siamese and chillminx like this.
  7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese
    Animonda, has baby pate, which I prefer to Royal Canin mother and baby cat. I use it for foster kittens.
    But Seb is a little older, so you could try him with Animonda kitten pate in the foil packs before moving to the tins.
    I have used that as well.
    But yes, I wouldn't worry about him looking a bit skinny at his age.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice