Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by stacebkb, Oct 25, 2012.

1. stacebkb

stacebkb PetForums Newbie

Hiya,

I'm still new to the world of cats, we have had our kittens for almost 2 weeks now and are feeding them Whiskas Kitten food (wet).

From reading various threads on here I realise I am basically feeding them junk food and want to get away from that! I have looked on Zooplus at the different types of food, but haven't really found much 'Kitten' food. Can I feed them food that's not specifically for kittens? They are 11 weeks old and I don't want to upset their tummies by feeding them something they can't digest.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how I make the change? I feed them 4 times a day at the moment, should I swap one of the meals to the new food and gradually increase it until every meal is the new food?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Yes you can feed any good quality cat food to kittens, they don't need "kitten" food. Rather than replacing an entire meal with the new food, serve up the old food, replacing a spoonful or so with the new, so they're mixed. Next day, increase the new, decrease the old and so on, gradually, until they're eating all new. You've more chance of them accepting it and avoiding them getting the runs if it's done gradually.

3. stacebkb

I didn't think of doing it that way, thanks for your reply. I will be placing my first Zooplus order tonight :)

4. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

Well done on being interested so early on in your kittens nutrition - I have a litter of 9 week old kittens at the moment and they are doing great on canned Bozita (all life stages) and animoda carny kitten - no runny bums at all and they love it.

5. stacebkb

Hi Wicket, thanks for your reply-those are the 2 foods I was thinking about getting for them. I was looking at the Bozita tetra-paks though, do you know if they are any different to the tinned food? Also, do you mix up the 2 brands each day so they get a variety, or keep them on 1 brand for a few days and then swap to the other?

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I think the cans are better quality and value than most of the tetra packs. The TPs are either meat in jelly or gravy (they discontinued the pate versions) so those ingredients are uneccesary and can cause runny tums. The tins are a fairly dense meaty pate with no filling agents at all and have always been popular here.

7. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

Hi, I believe the tetra packs are either in gravy or jelly while the cans are more pate like with a very small amount of jelly round the edge. I am no expert on nutrition but the cans are free from added sugar - also I have always found with jelly/gravy that my cats tend to lick that off and then leave most of the meat but that is just personal preference. The animoda carny is also a "solid" coarse pate type food - I would gradually change them onto one type and ensure they are happy on that and then introduce them in the same way to the second type then you can use both.

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

That's exactly what I would do too! Get your cat used to the new texture (pate food) by sticking to one brand and once your cat is happy build up a rotation of different brands of similar quality.

Although I don't feed Bozita if I had to feed it, I would go for the tins.

9. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

oh, i thought i was doing good by buying Whiskas wet kitten food! I mix it with whiskas kitten dry food also. Ike loves it. Butother foods are better? Yous recommend Bozita, what else do yous use?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice