Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten food vs adult food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ejrogers, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ejrogers

ejrogers PetForums Member

Hi,
    My cat will be 1 year old next month and up until now i have been feeding her kitten food, mainly Felix and the Whiskas dry food.
    What is the best time to transfer her to adult food, is it at 1 year old, and whats the best way to do this?

Thanks x

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! You can feed your cat adult food now. Kitten food is pet food industry gimick - there is very little difference in terms of nutrition between kitten and adult foods, sometimes the kitten food just costs more or the chunks are smaller.

A lot of the higher end brands don't have life stages food, just one food that is appropriate for all cats irrespective of age. If you think about it, a kitten in the wild would not get special kitten food either.

Whiskas is not the best cat food you can get, so perhaps some time in the future you might want to think about feeding her better food. :D

3. ejrogers

ejrogers PetForums Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you have any suggestions on what is better wet and dry food than Felix and Whiskas?

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

HI IN TESCO THEY DO A PREM CAT POUCH FOOD THAT IS VERY HIGH ON MEAT CONTENT RATHER THAN WHISKAS 4%MEAT CONTENT. Its not that cheap at 60 pence a sachet though, they do fish based ones and chicken and duck theres also a tuna one. Sometimes its a matter of going along and reading the lable to see what meat content they contain. hi life also has a higher meat content .

5. kota

kota PetForums Member

I don't see what's the problem. Maybe you should give adult food once a day and a very small portion and see what will happen. If it is normal, then give it twice a day and so on. I may be mistaken. But as for my cats there were no problems because the kittens tried to eat both kitten and adult food.

6. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

Feline Fayre is really good food, it's at least 60% meat and can be picked up in Morrisons and if you have a home bargains near you or a Bargain Madness it's really cheap in there.

You can normally get a box of 8 sachets for betwen £1 and £1.30

My kitten loves it, esp the pilchards one!

:thumbup:

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I agree that Feline Fayre is a good food, though you need to make sure that you are getting the black tins and pouches as they are compelte; the blues ones are complementary.

Here are some that I had pulled together for a different thread. The list tells you how much meat is in it and where you can typically buy them. They are complete wet foods that don't break the bank.

- Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. (about 4% fat). Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate that has 97% meat and 5% fat
    - Purely has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home. About 2% fat
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places. About 6% fat
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc (about 2% fat)
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type. About 2% fat
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury 49% and Tesco Finest 49% +. The meat versions of Tesco Just Nature contain 60% meat.
    - Porta 21 - tends to be whole meat tuna (46%) and the rest broth; very low fat 0.5%; available from zooplus. Porta is a bit like complementary food in terms of its texture but it is a complete food. Just low on fat. You could add some goose fat to fatten it up a bit.

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen (Joe & Jills) - 90% meat content, about 8 - 10% fat - available from them directly - Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat; 5.5% fat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content and 4% wholegrain rice; 5.5% fat - available from zooplus
    - Smilla also on zooplus is another high meat, very inexpensive food.
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat, about 4-6% fat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    And there is Ziwi Peak!

Generally, the higher meat content foods are pates. Although they tend to be more expensive then the other foods, you need to feed less of it. For example, a normal size cat only needs to eat 200g of Grau or Ziwi Peak.

Regarding dry food, the best ones to get IMO are orijen, acana, ziwi peak and applaws. Yes, on the face of it they are more expensive then other dry food, but you need to feed only a little. 55g of orijen for a normal size cat a day. Also, they don't contain any grains or other fillers; just about 75% meat and 25% veg and fruit.

Hope that helps

#7 hobbs2004, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  8. NelsonsStaff

NelsonsStaff PetForums Junior

I brought kitten food on advice from a friend of mine who is a qualified vet (albiet not working in the industry) It wasn't for nutrition value as such but because kibble especially comes in smaller chunks therefore easier for my kitten to eat.

On the whole she doesn't believe there is any real difference between adult and kitten food it's just a case of what the cat perfers.

And as for the Whiskas and Felix debate, I personally don't see much of a problem with it, yes it's junk food for cats, but then what's wrong with junk food once in a while and I have a store of whiskas on stand by just in case

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yet you choose not to feed your cat just whiskas and co but limit it to just the food to be had once in a while. :D

10. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Ejrogers - Were just entering the world of adult cat food with Spartacus who has decided shes not fond of Felix kitten (it was all she'd eat previously) anymore. At 8 months, and after some great advice from Hobbs, we're making the move!

If your near an ASDA (or even if you shop online) they currently have HiLife Essentials Pate (in 3 flavours) canned on offer at 4 tins for £1 - which works out the same as the likes of Felix. They are in individual tins, but worth a go to see if your little one likes it.

We've just done that with Spartacus and although it doesnt look too appetising (first time using pate instead of chunks!), as Hobbs said above the meat content is ok (especially for the price). Apparently they do the multipacks around (sometimes in Morrisons or Wilkies if you have a good store) but to see if your baby likes it, 4 tins for £1 isnt bad! The tins when there not on offer are 33p each, so again, about the same price for 12 tins.

Accoridng to the feeding instructions, 2-3 tins per day over 2 meals. As my little one is only small, we're feeding 2 tins plus biscuits and see how we get on. If your baby is only small and your feeding dry too, 2 tins should be plenty.

We've been looking at Bozita as well but cant decide whether to go for it. So, we're having a HiLife week!

Good Luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice