Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten food analysis

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by prada, Jun 9, 2010.

1. prada

prada PetForums Member

Hi Everyone

I find it very difficult when someone asks me which is the best brand of food to feed their kitten. As a breeder I get asked this question a lot. I tell them which brands I am using and recommend but I don't imagine that they are the only good ones out there. Opinions vary so much as to which are good brands and which are not, and I could spend hours trailing through the product analysis, but it's hard to decide which is the absolute best. Would anyone care to let me know which brands you feed your kittens/cats, or which you consider to be the best, the worst and for what reasons. Thanks.

2. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I consider raw feeding to be the best. My cat has a chronic bowel condition so he can't take other foods. But aside from that i believe it to be the best and most natural. Aside from that Feline Fayre is a good wet food i believe and Bozita as they are high in meat content. Whiskas or Felix i would say is the worst. BTW how do you/other breeders feel about raw feeding? And also what do you feed?

#2 HollyM, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

We feed raw for one of the three daily meals our kittens have, we've also just started getting into prey feeding (chicks).

We find that most kittens prefer raw and some won't eat anything else once they've tasted it which can be problematic.

4. Tje

Tje Banned

I'm not a breeder, I just foster kittens (and sometimes their mothers). I have always tried to give my kittens as varied a diet as possible. I kinda think the more foodstuffs they're subject to in their early weeks, the less chance they will turn out as fussy eaters.

The shelter I foster for insists they get Royal Canin dry biscuits (either the kitten or the baby version). So they get that as dry food. I also started feeding my own cats raw lately, so gave that to the last kittens I fostered too (complete raw minces, minced goat meat, small chunks of raw chicken, adn chicken heart, liver and stomach finely chopped). I also give them all sorts of wet food. Not specifically the ones marketed for kittens, just any of the higher protein/low carb wet foods. I'll also give them fish on occasion. I try to steer away from the whiskas type of wet foods with very low protein contents (around 4% I believe) and they are full of useless carb fillers. Apart from that, I feed them everything and anything that I feed my own two adult cats.

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

like TJE really

I am not a breeder but i am a foster mum.

I wean all my kittens onto raw, and then slowly introduce other foods.

I am provided with dry food (RC) from the rescue but i rarely use it other than to ascertain that the kittens can handle it).

By the time they go to new homes they will have had raw, whole prey, feline feyre, tescos finest, bozita, hilife, purely, almo nature, applaws/encore, and tesco luxury as a minimum!

I tend to stick with foods that i know the new owners will be able to get hold of easily (well apart from bozita) through the local supermarkets or petshops.

What i dont do is feed an specific kitten food. I do feed high quality protein, high meat content low carb foods.

Yes i do have a stock of the old whiskas-a-like foods in, primarily for tempting a non eater into munching but this is more often for the mums when they arrive or for getting them to eat after their spey surgery. I dont like the food, but sometimes its one of the few things to get a cat eating. I would not reccomend it as an every day food though.

6. lawrence_elena

lawrence_elena PetForums Junior

We feed our kittens HiLife (60% meat) and we have Applaws dry (80% meat) available.

We would like to feed Natures:Menu (70% meat) but our kittens had issues with it. We will try again when they are older.

We can't do raw otherwise we would.

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

None of mine get on with or else enjoy natures menu. For some reason the majority of them get the trotts :(x

8. lawrence_elena

lawrence_elena PetForums Junior

Had to google trotts :)

Not sure why ours did get the trotts but we assume the change was too great from felix or maybe natures does cause issues with most kittens/cats?

We just can't do raw because of the time involved to maintain the raw diet.

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Mine had really bad runs on nature's menu but there are others on here that don't seem to have any problems. But to be fair, with cat food it is all a bit of trial and error. What one cat eats, the next one doesn't. What doesn't agree with one cat creates no problems in the other.

Re raw - you can get preprepared minces that contain the bone, meat and offal cats need. You just need the freezer space. Feeding raw is as easy as opening a tin (well, almost - you need to defrost the food but once that has been done.....)

10. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

Not a breeder, or even experienced with cats, but as with my other pet's diets, I try to stick to as natural as possible, and try to keep the fillers and sugars to a minimum.

Feline Fayre has sugar in it as an ingredient, as has Nature's Menu. Interestingly - my cats hate Nature's Menu, wont touch it.

Mine have Hi-Life 60%, and dried food, but I'm not saying that's best as I'm still looking into what to give them long term.

11. prada

prada PetForums Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. Great job !! I'm feeding HiLife pouches and Purina Pro Plan dry to the kittens at the moment. I give a little raw to the adults but not to the kittens, maybe I'll give that a try.

12. justexploringcatfoods101

justexploringcatfoods101 PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice