Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten feeding guide

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Alimo, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Alimo

Alimo PetForums Newbie

Hi

Im looking for advice on how much to feed a kitten. Advice online varies so much! He is 12/13 weeks, 1.3kg and is fed 4 times a day, mainly wet with 2 or 3 teaspoons of biscuits throughout the day,

Initially he was eating Natures Menu and would barely get through 2 pouches a day, we were throwing a lot away. This week we have swapped him over to Untamed cat food and he will scoff down half a tub of that in one go and will be round your feet asking for more as soon as you step into the kitchen.

He transitioned onto the new food straight away and wouldn't eat his old food so im not sure whether the food is so good he just wants more! or do kittens have a sudden growth spurt at this age? Id had him down as having 2 tubs a day split into 4 meals as he has a few biscuits as well (these are in a separate bowl and he eats between the two so he likes them) but would 3 tubs a day be too many for such a little boy?

TIA

2. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Hi @Alimo, I’ve never followed a rule when it comes to feeding kittens, I always just feed pretty much on demand. I’ve had fussy eaters, kittens who eat everything in sight, grazers..... you name it. But I’ve always simply fed on demand. I just make sure there’s always fresh meat out, usually half a pouch at a time to cut down on waste

3. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Kittens seem to eat a lot more than you think they could! At 12 weeks my two were eating 3 pouches of 85 each a day. Now at 17 weeks they eat 4 which is 340g total a day each. Occasionally they are still hungry as I think they are going through a growth spurt so they get an extra pouch to share. I think as long as a kitten is happy, playing and drinking, feed as much as they want!

4. Alimo

Alimo PetForums Newbie

That makes me feel better thanks!:)

I think he may have had a little growth spurt last week as his legs seem to go for days now! he's now looking more like a baby cat than a kitten :(
    I was off work last week so probably noticed he was eating more as i was around more for him to ask whereas today it seems like he has eaten yet

5. Callidora

Our most recent kitten (she’s just over 6 months now) has phases where she’ll eat everything in sight, then some days she’ll barely eat half a pouch. But she’s growing and gaining weight steadily and is incredibly active (I swear she only sleeps about 8 hours a day, lol!) but the general rule of thumb with kittens is, as long as they’re happy, playful and growing roughly as you’d expect, then don’t worry

6. Alimo

Alimo PetForums Newbie

I think i was panicking over nothing! This week he has eaten loads for breakfast and then next to nothing all day :Joyful

7. Callidora

They do panic us ;) you’re not alone. I’ve had cats literally since the day I was born, never been without them, and yet our most recent addition has brought me all kinds of worries that I’ve never dealt with before. She’s the whole reason I joined this forum :Joyful

Alimo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice