Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Feed Schedule?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LittleEms, Oct 12, 2020.

1. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Hi all,
    I'm bringing my two kittens home on Wednesday and was just wondering about feeding. Currently they share two pouches of wet food a day and have a bowl of dry food to share available all day. It was my understanding that kittens should have at least two pouches of wet each per day, is that correct?

I was planning to give them a pouch each in the mornings and then leave it down for them if they don't finish it along with a small bowl of dry food through the day. Then feed a second wet pouch late afternoon/early eve and leave it down again till that is finished. While they will have someone with them most of the week, there will be 2 days on their own so I thought that would work well for all days?

They are currently on Purina One wet and dry food. I have bought some of that to start with but eventually want to switch them to either Bozita or Miamor - anyone have any preference for one over the other? And then possibly change the dry to something like Lily's Kitchen.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@LittleEms - if it were me I would feed them more wet food and reduce the amount of dry food you feed them. Wet food is healthier for them because it ensures they are getting the fluids they need, especially important for kittens. Cats have evolved with a poor thirst drive, and are not designed by nature to drink a lot of water.

I would feed them 3 pouches each of wet food a day. Kittens need feeding little and often, but do not need to graze all day long, being carnivores, not herbivores. Set meals are best, so their digestions have time to rest between meals. I feed young kittens 5 meals of wet food a day. By the time they are 5 months old I reduce it to 4 meals a day.

If you want to feed any dry food it is best to measure out exactly the right amount for one meal (according to the instructions on the packet) and feed it as one of the daily meals. Perhaps put it in a puzzle feeder, so it takes them longer to eat it. :)

gskinner123 and buffie like this.
  3. LittleEms

@chillminx Thanks for this!
    I can definitely do that most of the week - what would you recommend for the two days they will be on their own? If I feed them a meal or two of wet in the middle of the day and then they don’t have that for two days will it mess up their digestion?

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You could use timed autofeeders for the two meals when you are not at home. That is what I did for years when I was out at work all day. This is the one I used:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C...02507799&sprefix=cat+mate+C20+,aps,146&sr=8-5

You can put dry food or wet in this feeder, and it is a useful way to feed them when you are not there, being better for their digestion to have their meals spread out. Just remember to always check the batteries are working (put the feeder to your ear and listen for the ticking of the timer clock)

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with chillminx on the wet food rather than dry food advice and also on the need for frequent small meals throughout the day.
    Kittens can eat an amazing amount of food but can only manage small amounts at a time as they have small stomachs so a minimum of 5 meals in a day would be good.
    I do differ on the "don't need to graze" bit though but that has only been my experience with my own cats all of which were fed as and when they asked for food .If I didn't do this with Meeko he would probably eat a lot less than he does which would not be good for him.
    I have never had greedy cats so have always made sure that they were never left with empty bowls which helped to make sure they always had food when they decided they needed it and not because a clock said it was time to feed them.

6. LittleEms

@chillminx @buffie
    Thanks both! My friend has said that they don't seem to overeat which is why she tends to leave the food down all day for them. As I'll be with them for 5 or 6 days fully when they arrive I suppose I can see when and how they want to eat and have a look at a timed feeder if they need one for the two days I am out.

chillminx and buffie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice