Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten eating too fast...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mrsfarq, Nov 7, 2020.

1. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Hi all,

More questions :D

My kittens are almost 11 weeks and we’ve had them almost 3 weeks. They have mainly been on whiskas kitten but we are slowly transitioning them to better food and I’ve successfully got them eating Feringa kitten.

They both weigh just over 1100g, which I think is ok for their ages.

I currently feed them 5 times a day and since introducing the new food a couple of days ago, they have 50g Feringa at 7am and 10pm and then 50g whiskas kitten at 10am, 2pm and 6pm.

The problem I’m having with Elroy, is that he is wolfing down the whiskas kitten so fast that he’s burping afterwards, he hasn’t vomited, although one burp was so loud I though he had, and his stool is absolutely fine. We don’t have the same problem with the Feringa, I assume because it’s pate type and they need to work a bit harder eating it. Sometimes he eats absolutely everything and other times he will leave a bit and come back to it later.

Should I split the whiskas down into 4 meals and feed them it more regularly so he’s not bolting his food down? Or is there something else I can try to slow him down?

D8C8FA1A-D117-4E22-A5AA-EF3CE8A19D79.jpeg

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

:Hilarioussorry, couldn't help laughing at this. Thank you for starting my day off on this lovely note:)

I've never had a problem with a cat bolting down his food, but a suggestion for you to try perhaps.

Disclaimer first!
    I know a few members do not like the idea of mixing foods but I've sometimes done it with no problems.
    I do frequently place two different foods side by side together in the one dish, when I'm introducing a new food.

As Elroy(lovely name btw) does eat Feringa, try with One Meal having both Feringa and Whiskers in the one dish. Not necessarily mixing the foods up but spoonfuls of it together in the one dish.
    Will be interested to see if this slows him down a little, if you decide to try this.

3. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

You could always try a licky mat (possibly spelled lickimat?)
    I use one for one of my cats as she gulps down her own for then steals someone else's.
    It's like a silicone tray, you smear the food into it so they can't gulp loads at once. Only a few quid in pets at home.

4. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Thank you for your suggestions. Interestingly since he’s been having more Feringa and less whiskas he isn’t eating as fast.

chillminx likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@mrsfarq - I agree with SbanR - I would feed the Feringa at the same meals as the Whiskas, either at different sides of the same plate or each food in a separate dish.

To slow his eating down in general you could use a large flat plate for his meals (e.g. a large tea plate or salad plate). Spread the food all over the plate, and he will eat it more slowly. If he doesn't bolt his Feringa anyway, then it would only need to be a temporary measure until he is off the Whiskas.

6. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Thank you @chillminx, I’ll give the flat plate a try for his next meal.

He has started to eat slower now he’s having two meals of Feringa so I don’t think the whiskas fills him up. I’ll be glad to get him off it, as much as I don’t want to wish the baby kitten weeks away :)

chillminx likes this.
  7. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

@chillmix since moving Elroy to a wider flat plate he eats much slower.

I’ve also noticed they are packing on weight since introducing the Feringa. They’ve both gained approx 150g in the 5 days they’ve been eating it. At 11 weeks Elroy weighs just over 1300g and Astro is 1250g - is that ok weights for their ages? I’ve read you can’t over feed a kitten on wet food.

1077B203-D6D5-4423-A275-AE912C0D0A57.jpeg

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@mrsfarq - what a lovely photo! Such cute little babies! xx

1300 grams and 1250 grams are OK weights for 11 week old male kittens (males often tend to weigh a bit more than females). Most kittens of their age do so much playing and racing around, using up energy, there is no chance of them becoming overweight. If they are digesting all their food, and have formed firm stools, with a couple of poos every day, they sound fine to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice