Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten dog flap help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jon342, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jon342

jon342 PetForums Newbie

Hi i have a new 9 week old kitten we have had him for about a week and he is currently kept in one room when we are home we will let him come into the living room with us providing he is supervised the problem is we would like him to have free roam of the house but we have a dog flap for our dog and older cat and we are worried he will use it is there anything we can do to stop him using this
    Thanks

2. jon342

jon342 PetForums Newbie

Anyone please??

3. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

The only way to stop him using the flap would be to lock/cover it and let your other cat and dog in and out yourself.

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Get a microchip activated cat flap - or a magnetic one that works on a magnetic on the cats collar - but you will still have to watch carefully as they can sneak through when the other cat is coming in or out.

I don't have a flap for this very reason - I let the dog in and out when I want.

5. jon342

jon342 PetForums Newbie

Thankyou but does anyone know where i can get one that will be big enough for our border collie as i can only find ones big enough for tiny dogs and cats

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

A door?????

Cookieandme likes this.
  7. jon342

jon342 PetForums Newbie

We will not be in the house constantly? We like our animals to have free roam and leave as they please

8. petergettins

petergettins PetForums Senior

I'm not sure anyone makes them that big, if you google it, you'll come across forums where people are asking a similar question & most people are saying they'll only fit small dogs.

9. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

You could email Petporte and ask them if they do micorchip-activated flaps for bigger dogs....

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Even your dog?

Wow - mine is an escape artist - given the opportunity she would be over the 8 ft fence and away once bored - and at night? Night time is when most cats get run over (even in the depths of the countryside) and so that is when it is recommended to keep them in.

However, your call. But I don't think they do dog flaps that big - could you make something? Buy a microchip cat flap and take the working s out and put into a home made larger flap - shouldn't be too difficult.

11. jon342

jon342 PetForums Newbie

We have checked our garden so that there is no gaps for our dog to escape out of we have had our cat for around 9 years now and she tends to stay away from cars and sticks with the fields we have a big dog flap but it isn't electronic

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

No gaps for mine either but she can jump/ climb 8ft fences - you are lucky yours stays in the garden only, I wouldn't trust mine at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice