Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten doesn't pee much

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Checkersmom, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:39 PM.

1. Checkersmom

Checkersmom PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I just wanted to check how much is normal for a kitten to pee. I've seen for an adult cat 1-4 is normal however I have a 5 month kitten who only seems to pee twice a day and I thought when they are smaller they go more?

He normally goes around 10-12 hours before peeing. He doesn't seem to struggle at all and he is not in and out of his tray.

He is fully wet fed (we also put water in his food as I rarely see him drink ) and is eating and playing fine.

Could this just be normal for him or should we be concerned?
    (He's our first cat so we aren't sure. We've had him for 1 1/2 months so not a new cat)

Thanks!

2. Checkersmom

I should mention he's a fully indoor cat so he is not going outside

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As he is on a wet food diet and if they are nice big pees and not tiny little puddles, then I am sure he is fine. :)

Cats have the biological ability to concentrate their urine and this may account for why he is going 10 - 12 hours without a pee. However it is hard on their kidneys to do that. Does your kitty have at least 2 litter trays always easily accessible to him and in different spots in the house? Are the trays open ones? It might prompt him to pee more often instead of waiting so long.

4. Checkersmom

Thanks for responding. He has three trays around the house. They are all open trays. We tried a covered one but he refused to use it so we took off the top and he uses it fine now.

His pees are pretty big for a tiny kitten. He used to do 3-4 smaller pees but it seems to have changed now to the 2 bigger ones

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice