Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Rothers, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Hello

I got 2 new kittens on Sunday - Annie and obi.

Annie started to have diarrhoea on Monday morning - I put this down to stress mostly having left their mum the day before.

She still had it come Monday night so called the vet and moved my appointment forward. I took her to the vet yesterday along with obi and he checked them both. He didn't seem overly concerned about annie's diarrhoea but gave her an injection and some medicine to give her which looks like it's the equivalent of milk of magnesia to help thicken the stomach lining.

Once I got home obi who had been fine then started with diarrhoea! Ive moved them on to the James wellbeloved food on advice of the vet so I'm hoping that will help.

I am giving them both the medicine though they hate it so I'm only manage half the dose before they wriggle free.

Generally they are fine... Playing alot, eating and drinking.

Should I be worried or is it likely to be stress of leaving mum plus new food?

Sorry for the lengthy post - I'm new to owning cats so any advice would be great.

Thanks

2. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

The sudden change in food will not help their tummies did your vet not suggest changing them over slowly, I would give them chicken and rice for a few days the start changing over to the James Wellbeloved (is this dry food?) as cats kittens generally are better on wet food, have a look at Hobbs a-z of food.

3. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the response.

It is dry food. The vet said alot of kittens can't cope with wet food.

I have seen a few suggestions for boiled chicken and rice so I will try that to see if it helps them.

If it doesn't clear up by Friday I will call the vet again to see if its worth bringing them in for a further check-up.

Thanks

Rothers

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh, what a load of tosh :rolleyes: Did the vet give an explanation for this? Would love to hear it.

As suggested by GreyHare, feed them some plain boiled chicken with a little rice for a couple of days.

Out of interest, did you continue feeding the food they ate at the breeder? And out of more interest (sorry I am nosy), what brand was that?

5. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

The vets reasoning was that its too rich for them - though this is not what everyone else says - who knows!

The previous owners (who own their mum) said they had struggled with giving them wet food so we should stick to dry food - which we did. Admittedly they didn't advise which brand of dry food they used. I put them on Whiskers kitten food to begin with.

Obi was fine on that until yesterday morning after visiting the vet. I have noticed some Mucus in Annie's diarrhoea this morning so keeping a close eye on her.

I am going to try the boiled rice and chicken today to see if that improves matters. Is it just boiled white rice as you would normally make for a human?

Thanks for your help

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, just like you would make for yourself. But just a little bit will do. And keep some of the water from the chicken or rice and add a little of that to the food to bump their moisture intake too.

So, you actually changed the food that they were on to a different brand (Whiskas) and a different texture (wet from dry)? That might have been it, in addition to the change in surroundings.

Just for the record, wet kitten food is not any "richer" than dry kitten food when you look at it like for like - i.e. when you take the moisture content of the wet food out of the equation. Also, kittens and cats are designed to eat what we would call "rich" foods - i.e. high in protein and medium levels of fat.

Because dry food contains less moisture it tends to draw moisture out of the gut, thereby firming up the poop. Now on the face of it that may sound like a great idea but kittens and cats who have "dire rear" need moisture to make up for the loss of it. Yet, cats don't tend to drink enough as they would normally take in their moisture from the wet food that they are eating. Even though cats eating dry food tend to drink more than cats fed a wet diet, they don't take in as much water. So, a plot of feeding dry to firm up poop backfires and dehydrates kitty.

#6 hobbs2004, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  7. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Thanks for this.

They said they had kept her on dry food after trying it but it could be the change in brand.

I have got some wet food but its felix kitten food - having read your breakdown of food types I may well try something different.

I will do rice and chicken first though and then bring them on to it slowly.

Thanks so much for your help. As its the first time I have had cats I am worrying about everything that is wrong with them - they are so small! My partner has had them before so thinks its just a 'cat' thing but I am not so sure.

Thanks again

8. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Hello

Thanks for your advice.

To give an update, they still have runny stool but they are going less and they LOVE the rice and chicken! They are very perky so will keep an eye on them still and if no better tomorrow will call the vet.

Thanks

9. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

I had this problem with a kitten for 5 weeks - the only thing that solved it was feeding him some raw food (complete cat food). He is now eating a variety of tinned with no ill effects - I don't know whether his digestive system was immature or something?? If the vet finds no health issues maybe try a little bit of mince to see if that firms things up (mince is not a meal replacement as it doesn't contain all the nutrients kitty needs).

Good Luck!

10. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Thanks for that.

They have been on Rice and Chicken since yesterday lunch but no major change apart from they are going slightly less.

They haven' been tested for anything so might do that as a first point of call but will try the mince.

So do you give it them completely raw on its own?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You should see a change by now. How much rice are you putting in? Just for now I would continue on with some plain boiled chicken but I would perhaps be tempted to just use chicken and cut out the rice. Do you happen to have something like Prokolin in the house to help their gut along?

12. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Since your post I have taken them to the vet as it wasn't getting better really. He has now put them on antibiotics to help them. I also have a probiotic powder to put in their food to help.

One of them is now passing solids which is great news, however little Annie is still struggling a little. I will try to cut down the rice and increase the chicken to see if that helps a bit.

Their appetites are great and they are playing like crazy so I don't think its anything serious but the vet advised to keep them on this food and if the antibiotics don't help in a week then bring them back in to test their stool. Does that sound about right?

I think I might try the mincemeat thing as well to see if it has any impact. As they are so well in theirselves I feel diet must be the reasoning but I don't know.

Rach

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Good call! Personally, I think I would keep her at least on some plain boiled chicken (without any rice) to see whether that, the AB and the probiotics do the trick in firming her up. I would do this for a while and not tinker any more with her diet for this week. Keep in mind though that she may not be good with poultry - so if she isn't any better at the end of a week, then perhaps it might be time to explore other meats and take her back to the vet.

Best of luck!

14. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

We have had a solid one today! It looks like she is on the up!! thankfully.

15. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Well since last being on here it's got better then backwards again. Obi's poop was a lot better as of about Thursday last week after anti-booting from the vet. I took Annie back on Monday to the vet. He advised that she has no temperature and no discomfort and the fact that obi was better was a good sign.

When we got home she did a solid one (hallelujah) and this continued until yesterday. Yesterday I put about 4 biscuits in the chicken and rice to start moving her back on to normal food. Today we are back to square one with runny poop again.

Could it just be that she has a weak stomach?

The vet said on Monday if it hadn't improved by next week he'll do tests - now. That it did get better and then not I feel it could be more diet related.

Any thoughts would be a great help

Rach

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

It is so frustrating, isn't it? Could well be diet-related but what slightly concerns me is that it took her quite a while to get solid poops despite being on chicken and rice. So, I would be inclined to do some further tests on her just to eliminate all other, non-dietary reasons first.

Now, what did you mix in and how quickly? Typically, the reintroduction of normal food is to be a slow process, lasting several days. But depending on what you say, you may be better of looking for a different food altogether.

PS: What is anti-booting?

17. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

Sorry I meant anti-biotics - I'm currently on my phone so it tries to guess the word I'm writing!

I only but 4 little biscuits in from the James wellbeloved food so prob about 5%?

Interestingly I just read another post about kitten behaviour - unlike obi, Annie is quite highly strung- runs manically all over the place, goes at your hands like they are a play thing - sometimes with little bites (though never hard) - I wonder if it's an allergy to grain or something.

I'll take her back on Monday as the vet suggested. He gave me some crystals to put in her food to help make the stool more solid so will see how it is over the weekend.

Do you think it's worth trying a sample of the low grain food?

Thanks for all your advice so far. As a new kitten owner I want to make sure they are super healthy. Also, we can't give them Rhee injections till she's better.

Rach

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Grain is a possible culprit. The only problem is that you also fed her chicken and rice and she got better, right? Or did she only get better when you reduced or left out the rice completely?

If the latter then it might be worthwhile trying a grain-free one. But you only gave her 5 pieces of JWB and she reacted with a runny poo? Do you have a grain-free at hand that you could try once her stomach has settled down again.

Do you ever/still give them wet food?

19. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

If the addition of biscuits brought about this change then it sound very likely these are the culprits! Best to avoid these from now on!

20. Rothers

Rothers PetForums Newbie

That's a good point - we've always given some rice. We've not tried her on wet as her owner from being born said she had bad poos from it - though maybe this was just a problem with her stomach generally.

I don't have any low grain stuff to hand but might order a sample size to see if it makes any impact!

Thanks again for your help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice