Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten crying & acting odd around food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Zwebby88, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Zwebby88

Zwebby88 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Little bit confused by my kittens behaviour, he is 7 months old hes always had whiskers kitten meat & fish in jelly and biscuits.
    However the past 3 weeks he has been leaving his food, or only licking off all the jelly leaving the meat.
    He scratches at his feeding try acting he is hiding it for later.
    I know this would be a natural instinct in the wild...but last couple of days hes picked up eating again.
    However tonight i have got in from work hes crying as its feed time.
    So i put it out for him he licks a little then cries at it.
    Then scratched the floor by the bowl, for the past 5 mins he crying at me with more of growning meow like hes trying to tell me something. He has left the food.

What shall i do? He was examined by a vet 10 days ago perfect health & weight. He had his vaccine last tuesday and his behaviour round food has got odder since that.

Thanks for reading x

2. Zwebby88

Forgot to say poops are normal, but drinking water more than usual. Very needy and was wormed a month ago.

3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Is he filling up more on the dry food perhaps? Does he go out? If so perhaps he's getting treats from a neighbour, or stealing another cat's tasty dinner. Perhaps he's telling you he's bored with the whiskas. Can you try him on a few pieces of lightly cooked chicken or fish perhaps, see if that interests him?

If he's not eating a lot of the dry either and drinking more water, I'd say you should go to the vet as soon as they open after the weekend, as it could well be a sign of something wrong, despite the recent clean bill of health. Cats are quite good at hiding signs of illness until it gets bad.

If he's not eating at all (or barely anything), then that's a reason to see the vet really urgently (out of hours if necessary), as going without food for a relatively short time (a day or so, if I recall correctly) can cause fairly serious, long term issues for cats.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Zwebby88 - it could be that his appetite has been affected by the recent vaccination. Some cats can feel off-colour for a few days or a week afterwards, particularly I have found if they have the vaccine for FeLV (Leukaemia) included. The cat's sense of smell may be dulled if they are not feeling 100% or they may be feeling nauseous and associate the smell of their usual food with feeling unwell hence why they refuse it.

I would stop giving him his usual foods for now and instead as Babyshoes has suggested try him with something different to see if he will eat. I would go for strong smelling foods such as e,g, poached white fish or even a little mashed canned sardines (but make sure you buy the ones in spring water, NOT brine or oil). Pilchards in tomato sauce is often liked, but do not give too much as it contains salt (which is not good for their kidneys). The main thing is to get him eating again.

He is drinking a lot because he's not getting the fluids in his wet food due to him not eating much. Cat food is approx 75% moisture so has a lot to make up for if he doesn't eat. Hopefully he is drinking enough to keep himself hydrated.

Babyshoes likes this.
  5. Zwebby88

Thank you for your replies, i will try the sardines tomorrow and see how he goes.
    He hasnt eaten since 10am has been drinking.
    Hes very happy usual self, so will give the food change a go.
    Also my partner has gone away i am wondering if hes missing dad?
    If all else fails i think its a vet call Wednesday.
    Thanks for all your advise x

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice