Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten constipated with URI? Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kyaviana, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Kyaviana

Kyaviana PetForums Junior

Hello, I’m worried about my 6-7 month old kitten who has not pooped in a couple days. He seems to be urinating fine, and is still active and eating. I just took him to the vet 3 days ago for a kitty cold or upper respiratory infection and he was prescribed antibiotics- which I’ve been giving to him with a bit of low sodium tuna as he won’t take the medicine otherwise.

His diet is 90% wet food, I supplement with plain homemade chicken broth and I give him just enough dry food to graze on, so I don’t think water intake would be the issue? Is he constipated and does he need to see the vet again? Could it be the antibiotics and tuna?

He also has an umbilical cord hernia, if that’s relevant information- the vet just checked it and was unconcerned, said it was just fat. We are planning to operate soon.

Thank you in advance!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Kyaviana -

If your kitten is eating his normal amount of food but has not pooed for a couple of days then it sounds as though he is constipated. But if all you are feeding him is canned tuna then it would not be surprising if he hasn't pooed as tuna contains no roughage at all.

The antibiotics are unlikely to make him constipated, they usually have the opposite effect (loose stools).

I would get him back on to a balanced diet of wet cat food now. If he is still on antibiotics then add the crushed tablet to a small amount of something strong tasting. There are lots of tuna based cat foods which will be better for him than canned tuna for humans as the cat food will not contain salt. Thrive Complete (if you are in the UK) has some fish flavours which are strong smelling.

If he is still eating dry food the risk is he is not drinking enough fluids to hydrate it, so he may be constipated for that reason. I would stop the dry food completely until he is 100% well again and has got his full sense of smell back.

Add half a teaspoonful of pure olive oil once a day to his wet food to help him poo. Or let him lick a little bit of butter off your finger tip.

3. Kyaviana

Kyaviana PetForums Junior

Thank you, I was able to resolve it with some olive oil and pumpkin added to his food! I was feeding him wet food as well as the tuna for his medicine :)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice