Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten collar troubles

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Steph_Mitsy, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

Hi again *waves frantically* :D

So, i go out and get the cutest lil collar for my Mitsy, all pink with a little bell :D
    I put it on her no problem, then she trots off and suddenly starts going round in circles trying to find the toy thats making the bell sound :blink:

soo, we take the collar off and OH took the bell off it, i put it back on and again, at first she was fine... then i she started rolling around the floor with her back feet in the air trying to scratch it off :( so i took her mind off it with her fav toy and then next thing i know she's managed to get the ruddy thing in her mouth :eek:

I took it off straight away and she had lots of cuddles and a treat or two, or three... or four... OK fine a few more than a few teehee :eek:

Is she to young for a collar yet, or was it too lose? or did she just not like having it on :(

thanks in advance for any advise :D
    x

2. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

How old is she? 8 weeks? Very young......

I think if she got it in her mouth it must be too loose, it happened to us as well with Indy I think. But I like cat collars to be loose.... In case they catch on something they won't get choked, they can just slip out of it.
    Try puting it on her when she's all relaxed and might not notice, then once she's used to the collar put the bell on. She'll get used to it.

Can't really suggest much else lol!

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If I knew the answer to this I would tell you.Meeko now 14 months old fairly large Ragdoll ,can still get his bottom jaw under the collar.I have been trying off and on since he was a kitten ,trying to get him used to a collar but not a chance.Luckily he is microchipped and an indoor cat,but,if he ever needs to wear a buster collar to stop him reaching a wound ect I'm stuffed ;)

4. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I think it's more risky having a loose collar as there is a far greater risk of it catching when it is loose, far better off having a quick release collar or better still no collar at all.

I really dislike collars and my two don't have one and we have never put a collar on any cat we've had, as they just too dangerous imo.

5. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

We first tried Silver and Indie with collars and at first they both hated them so we took them off. Then just tried the next day and now they're both fine with wearing one. I would just keep trying :)

6. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Not a dig, but why do you need her to wear a collar at this age? I guess it is too big for her. She's only teeeeeny. :) I'd only put a collar on her (if you really must...they can be dangerous) when or if she's going to be going outside.

7. Dulally

Dulally PetForums Junior

I'm no expert, but I can tell you what worked for Buddy (MC) at 5 mo. Being a Cesar Milan fan, I used some of his methods i.e. by having treats handy, letting Bud smell his collar, play with it, put it near his head. When he didn't turn his head we gave him a treat. Then when we'd got his expandable, elastic type collar on, minus bell, he went mad, back pedalled, :nono: rolled sideways, forwards etc. We sat quiet. When he'd tired of the game and sat still, we rewarded him. It took a week :)

At 6 mo we bought a harness and lead. Buddy sat still. Probably thought he was being held. Through introducing the harness as we did the collar, by the third time he was alert but not fighting it. With the lead on, he was mutinous:then I remembered his treats ;) I rattled the treat bottle, said 'come', he got the message on the 3rd or 4th day, walking around the house with an occasional treat or the smell of one.:) I really do hope this helps. I'm still a newbie here, so please bear with me :D

8. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

We've had cats catch tight (not strangle tight lol) collars on things, we just prefer a looser one. They lose them a lot, but we prefer that to them not having one. Lost a cat before and it was the collar and ID tag that got him back to us (albeit a year and a half later!).

We got a quick release collar, but it got broken :rolleyes:
    Anywhere you can suggest that does good quality ones?

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

She is quite young to wear a normal collar....but I agree that if you do want her to wear a collar eventually then it is not too young to start training her with one. You can buy collars that are made of a very stretchy woven elastic which make a good starter collar.....putting it on and distracting her with play is a good start point. I would do this for several days only putting the collar on while you are with her and taking it off again and overnight.
    Tiny kittens are too light to make the break away collars safe so these should not be used till the kitten is much bigger and heavier.

10. Steph_Mitsy

thank you for all the wonderful advise, I will get a elastic collar and see how we get on with that first then when she's older use the one we've already got :)

will also try treats too :) thank all soo much, you're all so lovely taking the time to read and answer my questions :eek:

Steph xx

11. Steph_Mitsy

not really but i thought it would be a good idea to get her used to it while she's soo young - sorry if i was wrong, i'm kind of new to this :(

12. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Don't apologise!! We're all here to learn :)

We didn't actually put a collar on Indy until he was about 12/13 weeks so what I suggested might not be much help. (I got him at 10 weeks, I know :( )
    We did that because he was absolutely desperate to get out, and I wanted ID on him just incase he got out by accident. It was a total mission trying to leave the house when he was younger lmao!

All I can really say is that when we put the harness on him at first he hated it, but then he realised every time it got put on he got to go outside, so within a few goes, he would stand still for me to put it on :)
    You could get your girl a harness and take her into the garden with it, but put the collar on at the same time as the harness, so she associates it with outside, then just leave the collar on her when you take the harness off?

That's if you'll be letting her outside when she's older (about 9 months is a good age depending on size). Although even if you're not, I think it's nice to take them out under control :)

I hope you figure something out!! x

13. Steph_Mitsy

aww, well Mitsy has seen outside the front door, we don't have a garden as we're in a weird kind of circle thing of houses, so we all have front gardens... if that makes sense, it's off a road that is off a main-ish road, so if we were to let her out i don't think she would go far (least i hope not :blink:)

Our neighbours have two cats, one Siamese and one kitten Moggy and they just wonder round the front gardens and pretty much stay outside their owners house, so that is where i'd like Mitsy to get to eventually, it's very quite round here, so I'd love for her to be able to chill in the sun on our door step, she does lie inside in the sun when we have the door open and doesn't seem to be bothered about going out, unless i'm outside which is another story all together!! :rolleyes::

I will let her decided when she's old enough if she wants to go out, but i just hope she isn't one of those cats that want to wonder off really far :( i'd be beside myself with worry

x

#13 Steph_Mitsy, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  14. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

tazz is the same he allways gets his bottom jaw under teh collar now there is bite marks all over it, and hes a year old. the collar isnt to loose its the elastic in it theres a lot of it on this particular collar which he seems to allways want to play with it. so ill be buying him a new one very soom :D just be persistant and it should work as tazz was the same :D x

15. Steph_Mitsy

I was in the kitchen, checking on the dinner and turned around to see our neighbours Siamese :eek: good job Mitsy was upstairs having a toilet :glare:

sorry about the quality, i was in the kitchen zooming in :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

can't believe he just walked in :blink:

16. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

ohhhh lovely finders keeper hehehe. I would wait a few more weeks to put a collar on her. Thelma used to end up with it in her mouth :rolleyes: just tighten it a little, not to much, i hate seeing tight collars :( also take the bell of for the time being it must be weird for a kitten to have this jingle sound following you everwhere :D

17. Steph_Mitsy

haha my OH said that, he said why didn't you just shut the door :eek:
    he's quite shy though, when you walk toward him, he just puts his tail down between his legs and runs :( i hope him and Mitsy can be friends when she's older :) can cats that don't live with each other be friends?

18. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Oh no I really didn't mean it horribly, don't take it the wrong way. :) I just wondered if there was a reason for her to be wearing one.

19. Steph_Mitsy

:eek: my bad - no, the only reason is i thought it would better to get her used to it as early as poss :)

20. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

Just wanted to say good luck :)

I have had quite a few cats, a few took to collars, a few didn't. The ones that didn't would get them off eventually whatever it took. Dante we got about five collars for, he took to losing them outside in the end and we gave up. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice